Can't operate Go 720 from PC-npobjects error

I am a TT noob. Just bought the 720 to use for a trip to Vancouver, BC in a few weeks. I have downloaded the latest version of HOME and map updates but when I try to access the GPS via the PC by the 'OPERATE MY GO' button I get an error - 'error calling method on NPobject'. Does anyone have any ideas? I can't find any info on TT Support but I have put a ticket in with no response yet.

thanks from da noob

I am a TT noob. Just bought the 720 to use for a trip to Vancouver, BC in a few weeks. I have downloaded the latest version of HOME and map updates but when I try to access the GPS via the PC by the 'OPERATE MY GO' button I get an error - 'error calling method on NPobject'. Does anyone have any ideas? I can't find any info on TT Support but I have put a ticket in with no response yet.

thanks from da noob

Some sort of javascript error, I think.

I'd uninstall TTHome and try a new download and install.

Some sort of javascript error, I think.

I'd uninstall TTHome and try a new download and install.

I tried your advice and removed TTHome and re-installed and had the same error. I then tried making my making my default browser IE (was using Firefox) and same issue. Anyone else have any ideas? I still don't have an answer from TT Support.

Thanks.....

same here

same problem here with a new XL, tried to update the version of TomTomHome as the tech support adviced, but it doesn't work.
Now they email me giving instructions to copy an attached file in the root path of the TomTom but they forgot to attach the file :eek: so hopefully tomorrow I can try this. Will post any advance!

Tech support have no idea how to solve it.
The shop has given me another TT as replacement, but same problem.
I have solved the problem in Windows XP updating to Flash Player 9. This won't work in a Win 2k though. Still trying to find a solution for W2k, (is too easy for them to say "then use the XP") I'll post any advance...

I would be happy if this flash player thing works with yours also :eek:

Re-npobject

The following works a treat as I had the same problem.

Delete the files HOME uses to operate your device.

Exit TomTom HOME.

Delete the any files or folder in the following location:

Windows Vista
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\TomTom\HOME\Profiles\<random name>.default\extensions

Windows XP
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\TomTom\HOME\Profiles\7sm5gy7v.default\extensions\

Mac OS X
Users/<username>/Application Support/TomTomHOME/Profiles/<random name>/extensions

Re-start TomTom HOME.

Try using Operate my device again.

I just did the above and now I cannot start my TomTom Home. Here is the error message.

"HOME is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing HOME process, or restart your system."

I deleted and reinstall my TomTom Home but the above error still persist. What is wrong?

Exit TomTom HOME.

Windows Vista
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\TomTom\HOME\Profiles\<random name>.default\extensions

Windows XP
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\TomTom\HOME\Profiles\7sm5gy7v.default\extensions\

Mac OS X
Users/<username>/Application Support/TomTomHOME/Profiles/<random name>/extensions

Re-start TomTom HOME.

Good work tomD and welcome to the forum

I just did the above and now I cannot start my TomTom Home. Here is the error message.

"HOME is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing HOME process, or restart your system."

I deleted and reinstall my TomTom Home but the above error still persist. What is wrong?

Try restarting your computer.

Finally got my issues fix. I had to delete EVERYTHING pertaining to Home including the registry and reinstall. Finally got everything running the way it should, except I could not operate my TomTom 740 using my computer which kinda sucks since I cannot set a password for my TT.

"Operate my GO" doesn't work on app 8.370. Tomtom hasn't released the "Operate my GO" software yet, usually it's a couple of weeks after the app release.

This time it's taking a lot longer, just keep trying every few days. It eventually will work without any warning/notice.

Some with W7 report no issues, others do. If you are one that has problems, try running Home as XP compatible.

Exit TomTom HOME.

Windows Vista

Windows XP

Mac OS X

Re-start TomTom HOME.

How about for Windows 7???

For Windows 7, Appdata is hidden, so go to the
control panel-Appearance and Personalization- Folder Options,
Click on show hidden files and folders.
Now you can see AppData, delete the folders as instructed for Vista. If you cannot detel, right click on <name> folder which should be locked and take ownership of the folder...or google how to take ownership of folders.

The two posts above are mine, and yes the problem is still present with the latest TomTom HOME 2.7.3.1894 for a GO 920T and for those using Windows 7.

I could not use the "Operate my device" with the same error blah blah NPObject. And yes, after looking at frum after forum and deleting one folder found as explained under Vista, the problem was fixed.

I will NEVER, EVER buy a TomTom again. It is BS that I have to do all this just to get my "favorite" destinations back into my tomtom.

1) Doing a map upgrade erases favorites
2) I must fish the MapSettings.cfg out of my buckup folder in my computer
3) To prevent an infinite reboot problem, I must edit one favorite in that file
4) To edit that file without the problem above, I must edit using HOME
5) HOME does not work because of this stupid and old error of the NPObject file
6) So I have to delete a file in afolder I cannot find in Windows 7
7) I had to go to Windows 7 forums to find how to do that
8) Then finally delete the folder and do what I needed to do to get this piece of crap working

Look, I don't have time to waste doing this s**t, and neither does a 60 year old man. TOMTOM developers, I hope that some of you will read this and take notice.
The process of updating a damned map should not involve brain surgery, neither the pain of one.

Simply BULL is what this is.

Signed, an officer in the US Air Force for crying out loud...I survived Iraq and Afghanistan to deal with this crap!

Last edited by a moderator:
Gerald, other than doing slight editing of your post, I couldn't agree more with what you've had to say.

It may be a bit of throwing out the baby with the bath water by saying you'd never buy another TomTom because of the hassle.

Many have found an efficient solution by using a method found here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/tomtom...740-750/16385-favorites-restore-question.html

Should that be necessary? Maybe not but it works.

:D:D:D
Thanks everyone. Here it is Aug. 2012, years after this thread was created, and I end up with the same npObjects error on my recently purchased TomTom! I use Windows &, and followed the instructions from TomD and Gerald325i. Worked like a charm!! I just dumped the 3 items in the \extensions folder, and HOME downloaded a new file when I rebooted. Thanks Everyone!!!!

Ed

Ask a Question