Cant initialize memory card (GO 720)

So, I have a TomTom GO 720 and everything is a total mess at this point.

I had my map installed on my device and seemingly on the memory card as well. I reformatted the memory card (FAT-32) and stuck it back in. Connected to Home 2.7 and added the newly bought map to the memory card. Disconnected and booted up the device and got the message that no map was found. I then found out I had to initialize the memory card before using it by taking a backup of the device memory and restoring it onto the memory card. However, after backing up the data, when I rebooted back in with the memory card inserted and connected to Home 2, no matter what device I choose (internal or storage card) the backup is restored on the internal device and not on the storage card.

For some reason now, when I connect to Home 2, it has suddenly stopped recognizing my device at all if I have the memory card inserted. Only way to make it work is to boot up the device without a memory card, connect to Home and THEN insert the memory card. However, I dont think Home uses the Memory Card regardless.

All help is appreciated.

Kind regards

Well, you didn't have to initialize the memory card before using it. The sdhc cards are formatting as fat32 right out of the box.

Use Explorer to see exactly what is where............

Your model can operate with the application on internal and the map on internal or card OR with the application on the card and the map on the card or internal.

The unit is such that if it detects the application on the card, that is where it boots up from.

Sounds as if you have the application on internal and the map both places??

Back up the internal unit to the computer using Explorer. Back up the cards contents to a different location. Make SURE your map is backed up.

Then delete the loose files from the root of internal, NOfolders or their files. Connect the unit to Home without the card and you should be offered an application. Accept it and install it. Then restore the map folder to the card (make sure you ARE using a reliable sdhc card the faster class the better) and insert the card into the unit. Restart the unit.

Any better?

Thanks for the reply. However, it doesnt work. I have done a pin reset and re-installed everything. All seemed fine but when I insert the memory card Home doesnt detect neither the device or card :/

EDIT: And I am using a SanDisk 4GB card.

Cant tell you what is wrong, but it worked fine when I plugged it into my Macbook. So now I got my new maps and everything looks good!

Thanks for the help though!

Ask a Question