Can't figure out how to fix red x

TomTom Model(s)
One 2nd edition
I have a TT One, 2nd edition. It worked just fine for a long time. My husband accidentally hit the sd card one day causing it to eject and now the unit will not work. When you power it on a picture comes on that shows the sd card coming out of the unit and then a red x over the sd card. It just repeats over and over on the screen. I have been trying to perform various fixes that I found online, but to no avail. I created a backup using windows explorer ensuring that the "show hidden files" was checked. I ran the scan & repair option. I have downloaded the HOME software, but even with the unit connected to the computer it does not recognize a device being connected. When I connect the device it launches HOME but does not recognize that it is connected. My computer is recognizing that it is connected as drive E. I have no idea what else to do to fix it or how to get HOME to recognize it.

I think that everything must be on the sd card including the application and maps. And the card can't be a sdhc card, just a sd card and 1 gb max in size.

So, is the situation you have???

But the point is whether the card is currently in the unit??

If so, try resetting the unit by holding the power button about 15 seconds till you hear the drum sound is heard unless that model has a dedicated reset hole.

Yes, it is currently in the unit. I've tried the reset but it doesn't make any changes. When the unit is turned back on it still has the graphic with the red x over the sd card.

Do you have a card reader for your PC that you could use in an attempt to view the content of the card?

Yes, I tried taking the sd card out of the TT and inserting it into the reader on my laptop, but my laptop does not recognize it when I plug it directly into the computer. It only recognizes it if it is in the TT and I plug the TT into my computer.

I was wrong! It turns out the sd card was in the locked position and when I unlocked it, the card reader can now read it. At the suggestion of some others I am going to give reformatting a try. Hope this works!

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Before you start reformatting things, STOP! If the only copy of your map that you own is on that card, and you have no backup, you just cost yourself the price of a new map.

What can you read on that card with your PC?

Tooooo late. I did follow the directions to create the back up using windows explorer. The reformatting is still going. What do I do next?

Attached is what the back up file looks like.

Attachments

• TT Backup.jpg
    TT Backup.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 290
Hope to heck your backup was good. I assume you used Windows to make the backup. Please review the folder you created for this backup, and tell us what the biggest two files are in your USA_and_Canada map folder.

Anyway ... if we find you've still got a decent map, then the next step will be to resinstall the SD card, connect your unit and using Home, let Home load the firmware back to your unit from TomTom's server. It MAY take more than one pass to do it, so after properly disconnecting (after the firmware is installed on your unit), connect again to assure that Home isn't trying to bring your firmware up to date in stages.

After that, it's a matter of copying your USA_and_Canada map folder back to your unit and crossing your fingers.

ALL of this may have been a function of having the write protect toggle in the wrong position on your SD card -- and the rest of this may have been unnecessary!

Attached is what is in the USA folder. I don't know if those are the map files or not. Either way, when I attach the TT back up to the computer, it launches HOME, but HOME doesn't recognize that a device is connected.

OK - looks like you have a good map backup.

To verify - you formatted the card already?
Card is installed in device when connected to PC? Formatted as FAT32, and NOT the Quick format?
At that point, Home fires itself up?
Home shouldn't fire up unless a TomTom connection was detected. It's the connection of the USB based TomTom that causes Windows to look for a means to service it (which is the Home application). Exactly what is Home telling you?

The card is formatted FAT32, not quick format. I put the card back in the TT & attached it to the computer & then turned it on. Now HOME isn't launching itself. It was last night ... so I don't know what is going on. If I launch HOME on my own, it says device not connected.

Odd. The boot code internal to the device should be capable of causing Home to execute even without the firmware on the card.

What happens if you force a hard reset of your unit while it is connected to your PC?

I did a hard reset using the dedicated reset hole on the bottom of the unit while it was attached to the computer, no changes. HOME did not launch and the unit still has the flashing red x when not plugged into the computer.

Ask a Question