Can't copy mapsettings.cfg

TomTom Model(s)
Go 300
Just updated my maps... lost my favorites.

1. I've got a backup copy of MapSettings.cfg (about 15 kb) so I copied to the map folder on my device (replacing the 2 kb file) via File Explorer on Vista.
2. When I try to use my 720 the favorites aren't there.
3. If I look at my 720 in Explorer I see that the file changed back to 2 kb.

So. I tried this.

1. Copied MapSettings.cfg to my device.
2. Tried operating the 720 on my PC via TomTom Home.
3. Again the Favorites aren't there and the file size is reset to 2kb.

Why is my 720 not liking my MapSettings.cfg file? I've tried this with 2 different backup MapSettings.cfg files.

Just updated my maps... lost my favorites.

1. I've got a backup copy of MapSettings.cfg (about 15 kb) so I copied to the map folder on my device (replacing the 2 kb file) via File Explorer on Vista.
2. When I try to use my 720 the favorites aren't there.
3. If I look at my 720 in Explorer I see that the file changed back to 2 kb.

So. I tried this.

1. Copied MapSettings.cfg to my device.
2. Tried operating the 720 on my PC via TomTom Home.
3. Again the Favorites aren't there and the file size is reset to 2kb.

Why is my 720 not liking my MapSettings.cfg file? I've tried this with 2 different backup MapSettings.cfg files.

Is by any chance the original (2k) file read only? Also, am pretty sure this will NOT work :)D ) but what the heck, what happens if you rename the 2k file to something like mapsettings.cfg.old and then copy over your larger file? (I suspect, you may just see TT recreate a mapsettings.cfg file) But, nothing to lose.

I'm not having a problem copying the file (it's not read only) in fact I can see that it has been copied to the device when I look at it in File Explorer. However, once I undock my TomTom or try to use it on my PC via "Home", the cfg file gets reset to a 2k file with nothing in it. It's as if the TomTom doesn't like the file and decides to make a new one.

I'm not having a problem copying the file (it's not read only) in fact I can see that it has been copied to the device when I look at it in File Explorer. However, once I undock my TomTom or try to use it on my PC via "Home", the cfg file gets reset to a 2k file with nothing in it. It's as if the TomTom doesn't like the file and decides to make a new one.

Well, it will create a new one if it doesn't see one in the map folder. And the file you were were trying to copy over was spelled exactly the same as the one you are trying to replace, including proper case of the letters?

Yup - I had that thought as well.

Got me stumped then. This should be a no brainer. How about renaming the existing one as mapsettings.cfg.old and then moving the other file into the folder? And, the one you are trying to copy over... it's not read only, is it? Did I ask you that, yet?

Forget about the read only question ..

Last edited:

Ask a Question