Cant connect to MyDrive on Windows 7 machine

TomTom Model(s)
Go Live 1534TM
I have a Via1535TM. It has had no problems connecting until now. When I plug the 1535 into the usb port on the computer, it powers up, the little computer symbol shows up in the LL corner of the display, and it even asks if I want to connect to the computer. The MyDriveConnect pop up says not connected. When I do this on a Windows XP laptop, it connects just fine, so I assume it is not a cable problem. Note, that it powers up and shows the computer symbol. (I can not download the map on the XP machine because of not enough disk space to cache the map -- would a usb flash drive work?)

I've changed usb ports on W7 machine: same problem. Somehow, last nite I was able to start the download, and got the 3+ Gb new map file to download (HOME3?), but I can not manage to upload it to the 1535.

For the record, I live out in the country, and LIVE is intermittent, and indoors, the GPS can not normally find a signal. Could these be causing the intermittent connect due to interupt priorities in the software?

Anyone have any ideas to try? Thanks for your help

Thanks, dhn --

Didn't know that page was there. It had the answer. Turns out that while my device driver was there, it was just disabled. Simple click, and I was back on the air.

Again, thanks for your fast reply.

PtlyCldy

I've had worsening connection problems on my old Windows XP desktop PC.

Older devices have always connected fine (the ones that use TT Home)

Newer devices USED to connect fine most of the time, but as newer versions of MyTomTom/MyDrive have come along, it has got steadily more tricky to get a connection.
Swapping cables and USB ports sometimes SEEMED to help, but then the same combination would be troublesome the next time I tried.

I've now just about given up on it and use an even older XP laptop, which seems to have no problem at all.

I suspect that the MyDrive software and the whole Network adapter connection method used now are both more prone to vague, non-specific problems than the old USB/Mass storage device method.

@Andy
On that notebook that was giving you trouble, did other USB devices seem to be having issues as well? I've seen a few machines where the USB host chip was degraded - not enough for a 100% failure of everything, just flaky - often caused by an occasional ESD hit in the winter months when plugging something in.

I have a Via1535TM. It has had no problems connecting until now. When I plug the 1535 into the usb port on the computer, it powers up, the little computer symbol shows up in the LL corner of the display, and it even asks if I want to connect to the computer. The MyDriveConnect pop up says not connected. When I do this on a Windows XP laptop, it connects just fine, so I assume it is not a cable problem. Note, that it powers up and shows the computer symbol. (I can not download the map on the XP machine because of not enough disk space to cache the map -- would a usb flash drive work?)

I've changed usb ports on W7 machine: same problem. Somehow, last nite I was able to start the download, and got the 3+ Gb new map file to download (HOME3?), but I can not manage to upload it to the 1535.

For the record, I live out in the country, and LIVE is intermittent, and indoors, the GPS can not normally find a signal. Could these be causing the intermittent connect due to interupt priorities in the software?

Hi, I just might have the answer to this most annoying problem. sign out of your account then bring up My Drive, connect to usb then sign in and things should be right. this works with win 7 for me all the time now and up date as normal. good luck. Shane from oz.(aust)

Via Models now use Linux as an operating system and no longer work with Windows based computers.
Models prior to 2010 are Ok

Say WHAT?
That's some bad information, tenorman. I have two Via units, both of which work just fine on Windows XP!
Although they no longer look like external drives, the Nav3 models communicate through the MyDrive application. What they look like to all Windows, Mac and Linux machines are little mini-servers because the USB connection winds up bridged to a appear as a NIC (network interface card) and can be found in the NIC list using Device Manager in Windows.
The Nav2 models look like ordinary external drives via the USB connection, and are usually managed with TomTom Home.

Ask a Question