Cannot use this map on this device

Hi All

Tried to update my XL IQ Routes last night (using TT Home) to the latest maps.

When installed and re-booted the TT shown the message "Cannot use this map on this device - UK and ROI".
Tried again a couple of times - same result.
Tried removing the map, erasing the TT map directory on the PC and downloading again from Home.
Even subscribed to 1yr of updates.

Again, same message.

Have tried emailing TT Support but no response yet.

Anyone any idea what to do next?

Thanks in advance
Ewan

I have exactly the same problem, and if I had been smart I would now use my backup to get my device working again. :( Unfortunately I wasn't smart enough and do not have a backup.

Does anyone know if I can get the original data back???? It's a refurbished v2 XL Series-30 (Western Europe).

Thanks

Last edited:
There are a few posts of HOME providing the wrong activation files on some models with European map 850.

You'll have to call Tomtom to get the proper activation files.

TomTom support sent me this which worked

TomTom support sent me this. It worked!

I've checked the map version that you updated to and it seems to be the correct version for your device. This is good but you are still having problems so we may a little more information in order to find out exactly which avenue to go down.

I would recommend removing any history of the first map download, updating your application and then re-downloading the map from our server (for free as it is still part of your 'Latest Map Guarantee'). Follow these steps in order to do this:

If you haven't already done so, please download and Install the latest version of TomTom Home from TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems.

When downloading a new map, we highly recommend that you connect directly to the Internet with a network cable and not use a wireless network connection. Wireless connections occasionally drop the connection, which means that your map may not download correctly. Please note that you will need a stable and unrestricted broadband connection. If you are at the end of an exchange, you may experience an unstable connection, which can interfere with the map download.

STEP 1 - Creating a backup of your map

- Charge your unit for at least two hours (preferably via the home charger)
- Perform a reset on your device (see: How to soft-reset my navigation device )
- Connect your device to the computer and turn it on
- Open the Home software, go to page 2 and press on the "Manage My Device" (Go, ONE, XL) button.
- Tick your map and press on the "Copy to Computer" button

IMPORTANT: We advise you to follow the next steps ONLY if you have made a successful backup of your map.

STEP 2 Open TomTom HOME

- Log in to your account with your email address and password for your TomTom account.
- On Page 2 of TomTom HOME, click on ‘Manage my device' -> Items on Computer’
- Tick the option for ‘Applications’ and 'Map'
- Click on ‘Remove Items from Computer'
- Also click on the ‘Manage my TomTom' -> Items on device’
- Click on the option for ‘Maps’
- Select the map you wish to replace
- Click on ‘Remove Items from Device'

STEP 3 Install all the Application updates

- Click on 'Update my Device'
- A list of updates should appear; make sure your map is NOT ticked at this stage
- If there is a TomTom application (with the green puzzle piece icon), please ensure it is ticked
- Click on 'Update and Install'
- Once complete click on Done and your device should reboot itself
- Once it connects again it will look for more updates
- When you have a new list of updates please click on Back
- Disconnect the device by clicking on the Blue Eject button in the bottom right
- Now connect again and repeat STEP 3 until no more updates are offered

STEP 4 Install the Map

- Once the application updates are all installed please connect again and click on Update my Device
- This time make sure the map is ticked and click on Update and Install
- Once it's complete, click on Done
- Disconnect the device by clicking on the Blue Eject button in the bottom right
- The device will load up with your new map installed (you may need to Switch Map if you have more than one map, which you can do by tapping on Change Preferences > Manage Maps > Switch Map)

Your TomTom device should now be up and running with your new map installed.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. Looks like (in at least your case), a map from a prior Tomtom was confusing HOME. By clearing out the prior maps in HOME's cache, it fixed the issue. Hope it helps others.

Ask a Question