Cannot find street

Hi,

I am from South Africa, and the new owner of a TomTom GO 630 device. It has been working very well, until recently it got me lost by about 24km (so +- 20miles). I was looking for a "saasveld way" and had mistakenly chosen "saasveld road" - I realised this and proceeded to navigate to "saasveld way" but TomTom WOULD NOT find it. I managed to find my way using my HTC and Google Maps, and all the while I watched the TomTom. Once on Sasveld Way, it clearly showed, on the TomTom, that I was on "saasveld way" but STILL could not find it if I searched for it!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!???????

Why???????????

Welcome to TTF.

Might the spelling of the street be slightly incorrect in the South Africa map?

If, while on the proper street, you had clicked the "where Am I?' button it would have shown the spelling it had for the street in its mapping data.

Just a guess, but since the TomTom requires that you enter a town name first, the Way town may have been not the same as the Road town. Given that they were 20 miles apart, that seems a likely situation. Reconsider the town/city name you were providing, and try for another suburb's name (especially if there is one just adjacent to where you think it's located) that might be more correct.

Second suggestion was dead right - thank you Canderson :) I did not realise that Bellville/Vredenberg did not fall under the Cape Town municipality (that's where I was initially looking) - really stupid of me.

For future reference, is there a way to search for a street name without filtering by town/city? I realise that this would pull up every street by that name in the country, but still might be a useful thing?

Thank you again :)

(you guys reply REALLY FAST!!!!)

That request (Search by Street Name first) has been OFTEN requested of TomTom for its applications but so far, never implemented. Sadly.

Ask a Question