Cannot download safety cameras. help.

You mean Restore to Factory Defaults?

You will lose all your custom settings by doing that, though.

C:\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\complete\safetycamera

See? It happened to you as well......... 'safetycamera' does NOT have a space when you enter the data or edit the post but a space appears when you submit the post.

You mean Restore to Factory Defaults?

You will lose all your custom settings by doing that, though.

oh i could care less about anything custom ive done. to be honest i have some extra car icons, a few sounds, many poi's added but as long as i have my map and can add the safety cameras it will be fine for me.

Are you getting the same error when you attempt to download the Safety Cam info from Home as you were seeing before? Does the error log look the same?

Are you getting the same error when you attempt to download the Safety Cam info from Home as you were seeing before? Does the error log look the same?

not so sure if it looks like its complaining about the files i deleted off the unit but here is the log:

ERROR: -500/#http://home.tomtom.com/download/Saf...&id=359&file=Safety_Cam_US_Canada_TomTom.ov2: Error from server: Internal Server Error
Internal Server Error
Error code: HTTP 500
URL: http://home.tomtom.com/download/Saf...e&id=359&file=Safety_Cam_US_Canada_TomTom.ov2
Additional information: info = [object]
info.method = [string] GET
info.resumeOffset = [number] 0
info.resumeDownloadEnabled = [boolean] false
info.entityID = [string]
info.file = [string] C:\Users\Bill\Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\complete\safetycamera\Safety_Cameras_-_USA__CAN_-_Free_of_Charge\Safety_Cam_US_Canada_TomTom.cab
info.metaFile = [string] C:\Users\Bill\Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\temp\ec04d4342365a885fa13c2ad1610fddc.tmp.meta
info.tempFile = [string] C:\Users\Bill\Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\temp\ec04d4342365a885fa13c2ad1610fddc.tmp

Severity: 1105
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/logic/netutil.js:97
return new ServerError(responseStatusText, -responseStatusCode, aChannel.URI.spec, undefined, additionalInfo);
1. chrome://tthome/content/logic/downloader.js:363
exception = NetUtil.isRequestSuccess(this._channel, aStatus, this._getRequestInfo());

Time: Fri, 02 Mar 2012 22:59:44 GMT

Quickie - you don't have an SD card in this device, do you? If so, you MAY find duplicates of the safety cam files that must be deleted from there as well!

If you didn't have any files left in the HOME folder we discussed, you can see that it's still talking about them, or their replacements. What do you find in your HOME\Download\temp folder at this time? IF the download bombed, I'd expect to see vestiges of the files still there. And be sure to check in the safetycameras folder again to see if anything landed there.

I don't understand why the 'free' version can't just be downloaded as a POI like any other POI file, but that's just me...

Here's what I'm gonna do here...

Since this is the freely distributed version, and since this has worked once before for another user, I'm going to bundle up the requisite files and have you carefully place them into the appropriate folders. These files are from 2/17, but should serve to kick start this if it's going to work.

Place the following file into your into the "poi" folder on your device.
Safety_Cam_US_Canada_TomTom.tlv

Place the following three files into the "North_America_2GB" folder on your device.
Safety_Cam_US_Canada_TomTom.ov2
Safety_Cam_US_Canada_TomTom.ov2.dct
Safety_Cam_US_Canada_TomTomOv2.ver

I've included all four of those files in a ZIP that you will find attached to this message.

Attachments

• Safety_Cam_US_Canada_TomTom.zip
    86.4 KB · Views: 320
Quickie - you don't have an SD card in this device, do you? If so, you MAY find duplicates of the safety cam files that must be deleted from there as well!

If you didn't have any files left in the HOME folder we discussed, you can see that it's still talking about them, or their replacements. What do you find in your HOME\Download\temp folder at this time? IF the download bombed, I'd expect to see vestiges of the files still there. And be sure to check in the safetycameras folder again to see if anything landed there.

I don't understand why the 'free' version can't just be downloaded as a POI like any other POI file, but that's just me...

Since this is the freely distributed version, and since this has worked once before for another user, I'm going to bundle up the requisite files and have you carefully place them into the appropriate folders. These files are from 2/17, but should serve to kick start this if it's going to work.

Place the following three files into the "North_America_2GB" folder on your device.

I've included all four of those files in a ZIP that you will find attached to this message.

There are a bunch of .tmp and .meta files in the temp folder as i write this.
At the current moment the safety camera folder is empty on the home directory. as for my sdcard it only has an mp3 folder on it with one album. sad, i know.

i took the files and put them exactly where you told me and i still get the error. i tried dumping all the files in the temp folder and the same thing. I really appreciate all the help. escuse me while i go bang my head against the wall. This problem only started since tom tom upgraded the software and made my gps look prettier but broke the camera function. lol.

Well nuts. At least you've got a 2/17 safety camera load to tide you over for a bit. I don't know what else to suggest. Last time something like this happened, having a known 'clean' set of files on the device seemed to get Home happy for the other user. Guess I can't get that lucky twice.

Well nuts. At least you've got a 2/17 safety camera load to tide you over for a bit. I don't know what else to suggest. Last time something like this happened, having a known 'clean' set of files on the device seemed to get Home happy for the other user. Guess I can't get that lucky twice.

Out of curiosity how do i check the speed cameras are even on my device without taking a ride? lol. I know its in the poi folder but you dont use them the same as if you were looking for a place.

oh and after a few email exchanges this is what i got from support:

Thank you for updating the incident. We appreciate your time and efforts in contacting us.

I had escalated your issue to the Senior Department. I have received the response from them regarding your issue. I would like to share it with you. The response is as follows:

This is a known issue with safety cameras updates through tomtom HOME and our engineers are working on it. This should get resolved soon. We request you to try to update Safety Cameras on the device after few days. We do apologize for the inconvenience caused.

With Best Regards,

only thing is its already been days, guess i gotta wait it out and hope for the best.

Out of curiosity how do i check the speed cameras are even on my device without taking a ride?

You cannot browse the speed cameras on the map view, but they should appear on one of the tabs on the route summary screen once you have created a route (assuming the route goes past some!)
And if you then set the machine to do a demo of that route, then they should also appear on screen, exactly as they would do if you actually drove the route (assuming you have the alerts switched on).

ok so how can i go about restoring my go720 to factory defaults? I have already formatted the unit but i put the same files back on it so im wondering if something is corrupt.

Main driving menu = tap
select "Change Preferences"
R arrow
R arrow
R arrow
(whew)
R arrow
R arrow
R arrow
(huff, puff)
select "Reset factory settings"

Main driving menu = tap
select "Change Preferences"
R arrow
R arrow
R arrow
(whew)
R arrow
R arrow
R arrow
(huff, puff)
select "Reset factory settings"

will these keep the existing map on it I would assume?

Yep, the existing map is not affected.

ok, lol add the factory reset to the list of things ive tried to get this safety camera installed and working again. Same issue. I guess im going to just have to hope it gets fixed on tom tom's end at this point. i think ive exhausted every option.

Remember it says "Reset to factory settings", that's not the same as "return to as it was when it left the factory".

All it does is remove most (not all!) of your personal changes. If a file is missing or corrupted, a "factory reset" will not fix it.

The only way I know of to get back to a "factory fresh" state is by restoring a "day one" backup that you made yourself.

If that's not possible, it depends on managing to re-download most of what you had, piecemeal.

Remember it says "Reset to factory settings", that's not the same as "return to as it was when it left the factory".

All it does is remove most (not all!) of your personal changes. If a file is missing or corrupted, a "factory reset" will not fix it.

The only way I know of to get back to a "factory fresh" state is by restoring a "day one" backup that you made yourself.

If that's not possible, it depends on managing to re-download most of what you had, piecemeal.

yeah im not sure whats involved with that be honest. i can only hope it just magically starts working some day but to me thats unacceptable but it seems i dont have much of a choice

Finally got around to testing if this works and the safety cameras show up on my unit when out and about so I want to thank you very much. I have been in contact with Tom Tom and they have repeatedly said that its a server issue and they are working on it to be resolved and to check back in a day or two. no luck so far but We shall see. the only thing I HAVEN'T tried is bringing the gps to a different location other than my house like at work to see if it maybe hits a different server but im probably just grasping at straws at this point.

I'll be curious to hear if the update also works correctly now that you have a functional set on your unit again.

If not, well, here's a more recent load for you that brings you up to date. Do exactly what you did with it last time. Zip attached.

Attachments

• Safety_Cam_US_Canada_TomTom.zip
    86.5 KB · Views: 316
I'll be curious to hear if the update also works correctly now that you have a functional set on your unit again.

If not, well, here's a more recent load for you that brings you up to date. Do exactly what you did with it last time. Zip attached.

Sweet. Thank you my friend. :thumb:

Ask a Question