Cannot delete zip file

TomTom Model(s)
xl series 30
I have just tried to update my xl series 20, so that i can use the full postcode. As per instructions i copied zip file into root directory of tomtom. However when i now try to put in postcode I get message FILE ACCESS ERROR and cannot enter any postcode.
I thought that the simple solution would be to delete the zip file and all would be well. However, not the case. Tends to lock up my computer.
Unfortunately I thought I had backed up my files beforehand, but alas, this was not the case after using tomtom software.
Cannot find any info on internet. Can anyone help?

Derek

It's not the zip folder that goes in the root of the unit, it's the CONTENTS of the zip folder thatget extracted into a folder in the root of the unit called zip (all lower case). Use WinRar to do the extraction.

Try rebooting the computer. If that is successful, connect the unit to the computer, and use WinRar to extract the files from the zip folder into a folder on the unit called zip.

If you've gotten this far, use the Harware Detection icon in the notification area to disconnect properly your unit from the computer and reboot the Unit.

Thanks for speedy reply. Done everything you suggested and for a short while thought things were perfect. However, although I can now see full postcode, when the street name appears the tomtom freezes then reboots. It seems to have become very unstable. Is there a way to revert back to manufacture defaults, as there is no card or reset button on the xl.

Thanks

And you CAN do a reset (much less disruptive than a full "return to factory settings").

I must admit I'm not familiar with an "XL 20 series" (did you mean "XL 30 series" or "XL2"?) , but for any model that doesn't have a dedicated reset button, you simply hold down the power switch for about 20 seconds, until you hear the drum sounds, and then release.

Factory settings

Thanks for replies. Correct it is series 30 not 20 as stated.

Things here are getting steadily worse. I have tried to revert to factory settings and again things were looking good.However on start up i start to select my options for date time etc, but when i get to choosing voice, tomtom locks and then reboots. I have done this a dozen times.
Thought of doing a reformat, but when i connect to tomtom home, being told file error, when trying to update or backup files.

Is this a lost cause?

Ask a Question