Cannot delete a map using Manage Content

TomTom Model(s)
Live Via 120
Hello gurus

Somehow I have got a 3Gb Europe map on my UK & RI device. I bought it on eBay over a year ago as an UK device, so perhaps the previous owner installed two maps. Lucky me!

However, now I can't install Map Corrections because the internal memory is full. (No - it doesn't have a mini SD card slot!).

I cannot remove either map using the Manage Content option of MyTomTom, because there are NO options listed under the Actions column in my Chrome web browser (Win 7 64bit). Please see attachment.

I've put this to TomTom support but no helpful response yet, after nearly two weeks...

I read in another post, and I can confirm, that my TomTom appears under Windows Control Panel as an ethernet device. So, is there some way of getting at its contents to remove one of the maps? Or am I stuck with MyTomTom's Manage Content web browser sh*t interface?

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• Missing-actions.png
    Missing-actions.png
    52.5 KB · Views: 682
  • Via_120_USB_port.jpg
    Via_120_USB_port.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 951
Hmmm... how about the Voices section (not showing in the screen capture you provided). Can you remove voices using MyTomTom? If so, remove all except the one you use and see if that frees up some space for you.

I don't have a Voices section. The only item with a Remove option is UK Speed Cameras and I don't really want to risk removing that unless its reinstatement can be guaranteed. All the other Actions are 'Install' (for the countries that I don't need).

A couple of suggestions:
1. Uninstall MyTomTom from your computer and get a new copy at tomtom.com/getstarted
2. Try switching browsers and see if other options (like 'remove') appear for other categories besides speed cameras.

Contrary to (somewhat) popular belief, it appears that the Via 120 may indeed have a uSD card slot tucked away in the 'bottom'.

To the OP ... on the bottom of your unit where it has the TomTom logo (the end opposite the connector, which is at the 'top'), see if the logo is in fact on a very nicely fitted little door that can be opened.

I suggest this as only part of a solution to your problem, since we'll still also need to get your browser behaving properly so as to get one of the maps off the unit before trying to get it onto the card. Also, we would need to assure your firmware is up to date enough to both supply the right web page to your browser (that's where that page comes from) and support the uSD card.

Can you check the "Me and my device" menu of your device and tell us what firmware is presently loaded?

Hi canderson, thanks for your very helpful response.

First I must consume a large portion of humble pie, having now slid my fingernail into the cover at the bottom of my sat nav, to reveal the uSD card slot! I owe an apology to TomTom support, which will be sent shortly...

As for browsers, my default is an up-to-date version of Google Chrome but I've tried both Firefox 13.0.1 and IE9 (again) with mixed results. Some new screen grabs are now attached to this post. At first IE9 killed my snipping tool (or vice versa) so I had to close down and try again.

The Firefox response is interesting - it failed to display the little circled arrow icon used to open up the <div> containing its list of Speed Camera countries. Now, when I try the same thing in Chrome, the arrow icons have disappeared, whereas they were showing a few minutes ago.

As for My Device, I've uploaded a photo of the current settings.

I think everything is up-to-date but I'd be interested in your reply before I fork out for an SD card...

Cheers, Ian

Attachments

• Manage-Content-Chrome.PNG
    Manage-Content-Chrome.PNG
    52.3 KB · Views: 625
  • Manage-Content-Firefox-13.0.1.PNG
    Manage-Content-Firefox-13.0.1.PNG
    52.8 KB · Views: 598
  • Manage-Content-IE9.PNG
    Manage-Content-IE9.PNG
    51.5 KB · Views: 553
  • About_My_Device.jpg
    About_My_Device.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 498
PS. I have just closed and reopened Chrome to find that the circled arrow icons have now re-appeared in the My Speed Cameras section. Weird!

Since my last post I've been playing with Chrome's Developer Tools to look at the HTML source code of the Manage Content page.

From this I can see the section of HTML code which should show a 'Remove' button under the Actions column for the two Maps. I've uploaded a screen grab*, which clearly lists the <div> element containing an <input> tag for the button but I can't quite figure out how Javascript controls the visibility of this button - yet! There's an awful lot of nested elements here, which my poor web browser doesn't seem able to display.

So, I think this is one for TomTom's web developers to solve.

How do I convey this thought to the development team, please?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*I had to ZIP my PNG screen grab because of file size constraints imposed by this forum. At first, I couldn't understand why my PNG file had been re-sized and converted into an un-viewable JPG during the upload process, but I eventually figured it out!

Attachments

• Manage-Content-Chrome-source-code.zip
    249.7 KB · Views: 342
Last edited:
Since your device firmware is up to date, there is every reason to believe that the uSD card slot on your 120 is fully supported by your current code. The even better news is that the price of uSD cards has dropped considerably -- at least on my side of a pond. A large chain office supply store is selling genuine Sandisk 8GB Class 10 uSD cards for $12.50 at the moment. I picked up two of them yesterday. The Class 10 is probably a little overkill, but they were priced less than the equivalent Class 6 card, which is adequate for the task.

You will note that the European map is showing "3GB" in "Manage Content". It is actually even a bit larger than that. So I can see how with the redundant UK/ROI map (your European map covers that already, doesn't it?) you are very squeezed for space. While you can certainly get by on a 4GB card (don't go less than Class 6 to avoid performance losses), the 8GB card gives you room to grow way out into the future.

OK - that doesn't help the fact that the "Remove" button is currently disabled. It isn't your browser that is the problem -- it's that to my knowledge TomTom has not quite yet enabled that feature for production use. However, it would not surprise me if you see that task completed fairly soon... soon being within a month in TomTom time! So in the meanwhile, we have no easy way to get you out of your present ditch. When the feature is enabled, then I would suggest removing the UK/ROI and updating the European map. That should leave no space to resinstall the UK/ROI map in internal memory (if you feel the need to have it in parallel with the other European map), forcing a reinstall of the UK/ROI to the external card.

Ask a Question