Cancel route

TomTom Model(s)
G730
Example, I am near my destination and know the way, how do I cancel the program? If I turn the device off wheni I turn it on again it will continue you route.

alldigital,

Here is what is happening to you.
Let's say you POI destination was Wal-Mart.
Wal-Mart is large and has multiple entrances and exits.
The POI for Wal-Mart you are driving to is set up either by TomTom or a 3rd Party
(I think most POI's are created by a geocoded address from a Google, Yahoo, etc., API call)

Your TomTom does not think you have arrived at your destination as you do not drove by the coordinates of the POI.
In other words the POI is set up for another entrance or is in the wrong location and not near Wal-Mart or accessible.

You could do a POI map-share correction if you keep using the same entrance and wasn't this to stop.
Problem with this however is you have to keep doing it with each new Map as TomTom wipes your user corrections unless they deemed the correction was important enough to include it with the new map.
(In other words you may have to correct it for each map release - stupid TomTom :mad:)

Speaking of such corrections I wonder if TomTom would treat these edits as a poll and users would vote for their most popular entrance for the official POI coordinates.
Who knows on one map entrance A could be most popular and on another map entrance B.
Would these be called a wondering POI as it could potentially keep moving around with each map release.

alldigital,

There are potentially five ways I can think of to clear your POI destination.
Yes the list has six but 2 & 6 are the same a "Map correction"
  1. If you are running the stock menu then you need to access the buried "Clear Route" in the menus as DHN said
  2. If you are running the stock menu you can access "Map corrections" and edit the POI as mentioned in my earlier post
  3. You can "Navigate to" a distant POI and "Cancel" - Thank you DHN for this tip
  4. You you are running the stock menu can change your "Start-Up" preferences to not continue where you left off
  5. You can create a custom TomTom.mnu and move the "Clear Route confirmed" (stock one) or a quicker "Clear Route" to the 1st Screen.
  6. If you have a custom TomTom.mnu you need to use "Browse Map" and more steps to do a "Map correction"

You know, until yesterday, I would have agreed with your point 4. Then it was pointed out to me (confirmed when I finally went back to the manual :( ) that 'continue where I left off' has nothing to do with ehere you are on the map; it sinply means that the next time you start up TomTom, you want to be at the same SCREEN you were on when you shut the unit down...........

Assuming this is for your 730 then you will only see the clear route icon IF you have Show ALL menu options activated (you get to this option from Change Preferences), if you have the minimalistic menu option selected you don't see the clear route option - Mike

LOL :D
You guys do make things more complicated for the OP, he just asked "how to Clear Route" :):)
Anyway, depends on what NC you use, alldigital, the Clear Route button could be on the second or third page of the Main Menu.

Ask a Question