Canadian Wal-Marts

I'll take this job up.

Edit: hmm.. should've have spoke too soon. It's gonna take a while to load all 246 stores. POI2Go doesn't list them properly =(.

Last edited:
I'll take this job up.

Edit: hmm.. should've have spoke too soon. It's gonna take a while to load all 246 stores. POI2Go doesn't list them properly =(.

By the way is POI2Go software? Is it something I can use freely? I would like to know so maybe I can helpout or at least fill my own request :)

dude, it'll be a while lol. I'm still in BC. I have done any other provinces.. why does Wal-Mart have so many stores lol.

Yeah it's free. I forgot where I got it though. I think it was Pedro who gave me the link.

POI2GO is a software that searches for POIs. POIEdit is the program you need to compile all the locations and save it as a .ov2 file for TT to read.

dude, it'll be a while lol. I'm still in BC. I have done any other provinces.. why does Wal-Mart have so many stores lol.

Yeah it's free. I forgot where I got it though. I think it was Pedro who gave me the link.

POI2GO is a software that searches for POIs. POIEdit is the program you need to compile all the locations and save it as a .ov2 file for TT to read.

Of course, I know it will take awhile.

I will look up the program. Thanks.

I've only done BC, YT, NWT... oye lol.

The problem with Wal-Mart is that they love to build on new land and build new roads. This means neither TeleAtlas (TT) nor Navteq (Google Maps) have it so I can't "add" the Wal-Mart location cause neither software can find it! lol

I've only done BC, YT, NWT... oye lol.

The problem with Wal-Mart is that they love to build on new land and build new roads. This means neither TeleAtlas (TT) nor Navteq (Google Maps) have it so I can't "add" the Wal-Mart location cause neither software can find it! lol

I just downloaded the POI2GO but the software is called MyPOIMaker, is that correct?

I can do this. Im not familar with Canada.
If I had a text or excel file with all the major cities and locations, this would be easier for me to make all POIs for Canada.

I can do this. Im not familar with Canada.
If I had a text or excel file with all the major cities and locations, this would be easier for me to make all POIs for Canada.
www.walmart.ca is your friend haha

I had to use this to get the address then use my TT1 to get the coords since POI2GO wouldn't give me the address nor coords (if it even showed in the first place). Most of the results it gives isn't even close to Wal-Mart.

It works well for other POIs, however.

Pedro2NR, I've done BC, Yukon and NWT. If you want, I can send you the ov2 file so you can continue on.

The list Im refering to is a text file that shows this:

Los Angeles, CA
Atlanta, GA
Chicago, IL
Dallas, TX
Vancouver, WA

I need a list like this for all of Canada!
This list will generate all POIs for Canada.

You guys are awesome.

Is there any tutorials on this site on how to create POIs? I can try and help contribute to the site.
Well, you could search for my thread on custom POIs.

It's quite simple. Just download POIEdit (at www.poiedit.com).

Once you have the program, click "Create new POI"

then click "new entry". Whatever you type in that box will be shown on the TT display. After adding the coordinates, you're done!

Save it as a .ov2 file and put it in your USA_and_Canada folder.

Well, you could search for my thread on custom POIs.

It's quite simple. Just download POIEdit (at www.poiedit.com.

Once you have the program, click "Create new POI"

then click "new entry". Whatever you type in that box will be shown on the TT display. After adding the coordinates, you're done!

Save it as a .ov2 file and put it in your USA_and_Canada folder.

Thanks, will give it a try.

I finally started getting around to try making my own custom POI but I think the way I'm doing it is very time consuming and lots of manual input.

This is what I'm doing to create my Walmart POI for Canada:

1. I get the address of my first Walmart store from [U]www.walmart.ca[/U]

2. I then paste the address in Google Earth, this gives me the co-ordinates for the location of the store

3. I then take the co-ordinates from google earth and plug that in PoiEdit2007

4. I get the second address of another Walmart and repeat the process...

Now, I tried inputting multiple address in Google Earth and tried saving it as a .kml file but when I open it up in PoiEdit2007 it only shows one address, not all.

I'm sure I'm totally doing this wrong and there is probably an easier way to do it. Can someone please advise?

Thanks in advance.

Easier way ? Plagiarism !:D
I use MS Streets & Trips , import POI in other formats (made by others), convert them to OV2.
If you want I can post Canada Walmarts for you.
I am interested in RVing so my POI collections consist of only these (Walmarts, TruckStops, Rest Areas , WiFi...).

Easier way ? Plagiarism !:D
I use MS Streets & Trips , import POI in other formats (made by others), convert them to OV2.
If you want I can post Canada Walmarts for you.
I am interested in RVing so my POI collections consist of only these (Walmarts, TruckStops, Rest Areas , WiFi...).

Yeah that would be sweet if you could.

Ask a Question