Can you sort and extract from the poi.dat file?

It seems that everyone has done a lot of work to create the POI files. Thank you for doing all this work.

The poi.dat file that comes with the maps already contains all the locations that would be needed for the POI files. If you could get at the data, I think sorting and extracting them into ov2 files for use on our Tomtoms would not violate any copyright (fair use).

I have done a little research to try to do this but have gotten over my head. These two websites seem to have accomplished this task.

http://www.licour.com/gps/poi_format/poi_file_format.html

http://www.licour.com/gps/extract_ttpoi/extract_ttpoi.html
(see post 32)

Has anyone tried this? Hopefully someone can do better than I have in following the instructions.

Howie

Yes... I've personally done it.
No I don't believe you can share the data you extract as THAT data is licensed to TomTom.

...not to mention you can't edit most of the extracted files... at least I have been having a hard time doing it.

but I'm pretty sure even if I get it and recompile, I still can't share it legally...

check the thread on poi.dat in this forum for more info.....

Copyright law?

I could not find the thread on poi.dat. What page is it on? The search feature did not find it.

It would seem to me that as long as the extracted and sorted data were only used on a Tomtom which has the updated maps that it would be not be a copyright infringement (fair use doctrine) and could be shared. Is anyone on the forum a copyright attorney that could give a more informed opinion?

Thanks for the quick replay.

Howie

OK I know im computer illiterate now

Hey again gang, its the newbie again!! Ok I have untilized poi edit, and now have a but load of POIs, Now upon reading this threat I went to utilize the ttpoi extractor. Here is the Question, I would swear stereo instructions are far easier to understand. Am I tripping or is this system created made for a prof, computer guy, Im just a generic Laymen, Im in sales (not car saleman). I can run our server at the office and do basic things, but my god after 10 minutes of toying with this software, Id swear id be begging for a lobotomy. Help someone, Pedro please you and the other gurus are doing your thing, Helping us all out, Please can someone help me sort this out. I just ordered 10 more TT units for client gifts and would like to hand them out with customized TT thanks to all of your efforts and assistance, i would just like to polish the job up. As of now i have purched 42 TT units. For my traveling clients , Since I run the world so much, they get to enjoy the benefits we have all found in the TT units tweaked up.

..Here is the Question, I would swear stereo instructions are far easier to understand. Am I tripping or is this system created made for a prof, computer guy, Im just a generic Laymen, Im in sales (not car saleman). ....
Where is the question?

Seriously, what is it you are trying to do exactly? You don't need to extract the poi.dat file to add stuff to your TT. Maybe you could let us know what exactly you want to do? I am sure we can help you then.

new poi merge into tt poi

Hi again gang, ok If i have a selection of poi say for ATM TT already has ATM poi built into it. I can add the new POI into tomtom and use poi edit to check for duplicates and make alterations, what i cant do and am trying to do is merge the new poi atm files into TT directory under ATM. where everything is combined.

Using The right terminoligy

Mikecwest hit the nail on the head with the post above, Yessss there is the question properly posed, I would like to OV2 poi's into his poi.dat file. It would make things much cleaner for use and keep the functions less overly detailed. please can anyone give this answer . If I could find a program to extract the POI.dat(have viewer already)I can use POI edit to merge and check for duplicates.

Thanks mikewestc, I thought that's what he was asking....

aquair, Pedro is right. The OEM POI data and the custom POIs cannot be merged. you CAN however extract SOME of the OEM POI data and merge what does get extracted. But after you recomplie it into a POI.dat file, you will lose EVERYTHIGN from the origional OEM poi.dat file that wasn't succesfully extracted. TomTom does this intentionally....their POI data for their TomTom devices is "protected"

The only way you can do what yu wish to do, is to either have an insideer from tomtom help you (which won't happen) or completely redo your own POI.dat file.

Sorry

poi.dat into custom ov2 file

That is differeent from what I would like to do. Extract data from the poi.dat file and create a custom ov2 file.

I can't seem to get the conversion from poi.dat to a file I can edit to work.

Extract from POI.dat

What I would like to do is extract all of the ExxonMobil gas Stations from the POI.DAT file so that I could assigned the Exxon icon to them on the maps. Right now all of the Gas Stations use the same icon and I buy most of my gas from Exxon. Is there a way to do this?

Last time I checked EXXON was not on the list of Top Tier gasolines recommended by most auto manufactures. I know , it has nothing to do with the subject but you could come up with a nation wide EXXON poi list to install.

Exxon data

You are right it does not have anything to do with this post, but since I get a discount on the gas I buy from Exxon and at the price per gallon gas is these days where every little bit helps, I prefer to buy my gas at Exxon when I can.

And yes I could re-enter all the data, but it would be much easier if I could extract the data that is already entered. Thanks.

Ask a Question