Can U use SD with TTOne 3rd edition?

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom
Just bought TTOne, 3rd edition and see that it has an SD slot but don't know if I can use it or how. I would like to use a 2gb card as the TT1 only has about less than 1 gb of storage. Can anybody give me the skinny on this as there is nothing in the documentation to indicate anything about this??? Help! (I have tried to search the Forum for this topic but after so many pages, I gave up!)

No Card Reader (slower):
Back up your TT. Make backup of backup. Insert SD Card. Connect to PC. Restore from backup.

With Card Reader (quicker):
Back up your TT. Make backup of backup. Insert SD Card into cardreader. Copy all files from backup on PC to the SD card. Insert SD Card into TT and turn on.

Backups of the TT are stored in your My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Backup\ folder. I would, once your backup is made, make a copy of that backup in another folder and periodically make additional copies just in case you backup instead of restore by accident and you overwrite your backup (TT Home only keeps one backup - and overwrites the same one every time you backup)

If you have problems, post back and we'll try and help ya out.

Make that TomTom One New Edition US Canada????

Sorry guys, had problem figuring out what this thing is called and finally found my TT "credit" card! What a mess - any dif in the SD card help???

TomTom Tells me to take SD card out - Red X on symbol

Okay, any other ideas? I formatted the card in my card reader and then copied the Backup to the card, put it in and when I turned it on, I got an animation showing the SD card coming out of the TT with a red X on it - wouldn't go any further than that - did I get a chintzy TT or am I missing something? Any help would be appreciated as I would like to add more "stuff" to the TT but have very little room. Thanks! :eek:

So in the root of the SD card is all the files/folder that were contained in the Internal Memory folder of your backup? IE when you look at your SD card, there are like 20 folders and 15 or so files right in the root of the SD card?

Okay, any other ideas? I formatted the card in my card reader and then copied the Backup to the card, put it in and when I turned it on, I got an animation showing the SD card coming out of the TT with a red X on it - wouldn't go any further than that - did I get a chintzy TT or am I missing something? Any help would be appreciated as I would like to add more "stuff" to the TT but have very little room. Thanks! :eek:

Follow SShadow's line of thinking. THe SD card image with the red X means the TomTom is not seeing the operating system (the TomTom Application they call it) on your SD card.

If you copied all the files from your backup folder, you may want to try using TomTom Home to install the TomTom Application:
1) Plug in the TomTom with the SD card in the slot
2) Even if you get the red X icon, you can still run TomTom HOME....run TomTom Home
3) HOME may detect that you have a bad or missing TomTom application and give you the option to install it. If it doesn't, simply go BACK to the main page in TomTom HOME and select UPDATE MY DEVICE and it should come back with the option to Install the TomTom Application

Yes -- as Birdman stated, it's not seeing the TT "Operating System". I bought a 2GB SD card - and copied all my TT directories to it. When I put my card in and turned on TT, I got the red-X too. My problem was that I copied all the directories, but forgot to copy the files in the "root directory" - where the core operating system is. Once I copied the "root" directory from my backup to the root directory of my card -- everything worked fine.

One additional point, once you get your card working, you HAVE TO RESET your TOMTOM device (by poking a toothpick in the tiny hole next to the card slot). If you don't do this, your TOMTOM won't turn on after it is shut off with the card in it. There are other threads that state this as well.

Best of Luck: - Mike

Thanks for the response

I'm pretty sure I copied all the files that were in the backup in Documents and Settings. The SD card shows Backup and a sub-folder called Storage that has about 14 folders and about 20 files. I'll try to add a jpeg file from FastStoneCapture as an attachment for all to see but I'll go through the steps once again in case I missed something. Thanks again.

Attachments

• TomTom1.jpg
    TomTom1.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 313
Clarification for root

After re-reading some of the posts, I think I may have to reconfigure the card so that the first thing it sees are the files instead of the folder name where the files are located - when I copied the files, I assumed it would go through the folders to find the files it needed, but if it has to start with a file in root, maybe the first folder is blocking it - I know this wacky logic happens with Microsoft but TomTom too??? If you look at the backup layout in the attachment, maybe you can see where I'm going wrong. Wow!:confused:

Clarification for root

Yes it looks like you have a subdirectory problem.
Your card should not have the "Back01" and "Storage" directories. Your root directory is "S:\". An example of a subdirectory would then be "contacts". Does that make sense? Once you get your directories straight -- should work fine and it is slick.

HTH -- Mike

I think I have it!

Hey guys, I reconfigured my SD card and hit the reset button and got NO animation or red "X" and the TT came alive but I'm not sure where it it reading the data from? Can I check it without going online/on computer or is that the only way. I've looked at preferences and got to the TomTom screen but it still shows 29.x mb used and 7.2mb free - is that to be believed? Almost there but I need an extra push. Thanks again.:rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure I copied all the files that were in the backup in Documents and Settings. The SD card shows Backup and a sub-folder called Storage that has about 14 folders and about 20 files. I'll try to add a jpeg file from FastStoneCapture as an attachment for all to see but I'll go through the steps once again in case I missed something. Thanks again.

If this is a snapshot of your TomTom directly, I see your problem!

You are NOT supposed to include the /Backup01/Storage/ subdirectories on the TomTom itself. All the other files are OK except they should be in the ROOT folder of your TomTom....as follows:
directory.gif

What about the other folders?

Thanks Birdman, I changed things up and they look just like the example you gave but what about the other two folders in backup - Downloads and FromDevice - should they be on the card too? And how do I check to see if TT is reading from the card or is the fact that I got no red "x" or animation an indication that it is the card that is controlling things? Do I also need to go into the TomTom Home software and do anything with the TT connected?

I know, questions, questions . . . . but you've been a big help! :)

Thanks Birdman, I changed things up and they look just like the example you gave but what about the other two folders in backup - Downloads and FromDevice - should they be on the card too? And how do I check to see if TT is reading from the card or is the fact that I got no red "x" or animation an indication that it is the card that is controlling things? Do I also need to go into the TomTom Home software and do anything with the TT connected?

I know, questions, questions . . . . but you've been a big help! :)

No problem at all, that's why we are all on here. The Downloads folder contains maps, voices, POIs, etc. that you download using TT HOME so that when you go into the (ADD MAPS, TRAFFIC, VOICES, etc) --> (ITEMS ON MY COMPUTER) button within TT HOME, you can manually install these items.

You do not need the /Downloads folder on your TomTom.

The /FromDevice folder is the repository when you use the (COPY TO COMPUTER) icon in TT HOME.

You do not need the /FromDevice folder on your TomTom either.

As for the card....if you have a card in the device and you aren't getting the 'X' then it is reading from the card. If you really wanna test this theory, you could do the following:
1) Remove the card
2) Copy the contents of the TomTom's memory into a folder on your computer (thus, making a backup of your internal memory)
3) Delete everything on your TomTom's memory
4) Try booting your TomTOm with no SD card (it won't do it)
5) Plug in the SD card and boot......everything should work fine

...this is extreme and you really don't need to do this unless you wanna see for yourself.

As for the last question "Do I also need to go into the TomTom Home software and do anything with the TT connected?" If everything is working fine, you shouldn't need to do anything more.

Every time you connect the TT to your PC, TT HOME should open and check if there are new updates for the TT Application and the QuickGPSFix....you should download those as they come available. I recommend connecting to the PC at least once per week to get the QuickGPSFix updates....your satellite locking occurs faster.

I didn't think the TTOne 3rd Edition had a slot?

The TomTom ONE 3rd edition does NOT have an SD slot...this person must have a TomTom ONE 2nd edition or TomTom ONE LE (also known as a TomTom ONE v4 or TomTom ONE New Edition)

Ask a Question