Can I use TT to find some property bounderies?

TomTom Model(s)
I have a TT 910. I also have a piece of property, it is 10 acres. I know where the South West and North West boundary markers are located. I know that the property runs 450' East from both markers. The plot plan has some numbers printed on it, S 89 Degrees 38' E on the North. It also has N 89 degrees 28' on the South.

When I go on Google Earth I can find a location that is within about 25' of the North West corner marker. Our area is not very high resolution. That location is 32 degrees 27'25.55" N and 94 degrees o4'29.77" W.

We plan to sell the property in the spring and once we find a buyer we will have to get a survey done. I would like to roughly find the property lines so that I can give prospective buyers a good idea where the property lines lay. The property is a pine thicket and most places you can only see 40' or 50'. I would like to take TT and find some locations along the property line, can I do this and if so how?

I suppose you could click on the satellite info page to find your (as exact as a TT GPS will give you) lat/long if thats what your after

If I read your question correctly you have the Lat Long for the corners of your property. I have a TomTom One and not sure if yours will work this way. If you do have the coordinates you can go to the menu on your TomTom and select Browse Map, press options at the bottom and turn on Coordinates. That will display your coordiantes in real time. You could go to your property and walk to where you think the corners are and move around until it matches the coordinates displayed on your TomTom. It will get you close but not perfect. Probably within 10 to 20 feet.
Hope this works.

You are right I can go to the"Browse Map" and click on options. However, all that I can figure out how to do is tap the screen and TT will give me the coordinates of where I touch the screen. I know that TT knows the coordinates of where it is located at all times. I want to be above to place it at a property corner post and have TT to tell me the coordinate of that location.

If it could do that I could establish points between the property corner on the north and the property corner on the south.

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the 910, but on the One, once you go to Browse Map, select Options, you can turn on Coordinates by making sure there is a check mark next to Coordinates. Then press Done. From then on the coordinates of the cursor on the Browse Map Display are displayed on the bottom left of the screen. You could then go to the corner post, turn on the TomTom and select Browse Map. It will show you your current location with a small circle. Place the cross hairs on that spot by zooming in and pressing the center of the circle. The coordinates will be shown on the bottom left of the screen. Again, I don't know if the 910 works like this or not, but the One does. Hope this helps.

Here is a way to make the above instructions easier and more accurate. When you get to the corner post turn on the TomTom, Browse Map, make sure coordinates are displayed and tap the compass in the upper right corner, that will move the cursor to your present location on the map and your present coordinates will be displayed.

Once you get the Navcore 7 update, it is even easier. Go to the main menu, select Help Me and then Where Am I and your current coordinates are displayed. They do not update if you move. You have to go back to the menu and select the option again.

What is this Navcore update that you are talking about?

Also I backed up my TT, but when I go to TomTom Home and click on "My GO 910" there is a line at the top of the screen that says, "At this time there is no component available that is compatible with your TomTom device".

I ead on this forum someplace that when the TT image shows up on my computers screen it should display a virtual TT screen.

OK, I was able to get the GPS coordinates using My TT910 along the West side of my 10 acres. The iron pin placed by the surveyors on the North West corner is at N32 degrees 27'25", W94 degrees 04'29". Te iron pin placed by the surveyors on the South West corner is at N32 degrees 27'14", W94 degrees 04'30".

That is great, however I have no idea what it means. lol

Before I sell the property I will have to have it surveyed, I know that, but I am trying to get an idea where the lines lay before I get the survey. This property line is important to me because when I first bought the property I bought 25 acres. I kept the 10 acres on the east and divided the 14 acres to the west of and gave 7 acres to each of two of my kids. My daughter who owned the center 7 acres sold her property about 4 years ago. The new owner is trying to sell the property again. My wife and I are moving into the small town the is near by.

On this property line I built a swinging bridge across the creek and a large bag swing for all of my grandkids. These things are in a bend of the creek and I would like to trade property for property with the present owner before they sell. They are willing, but we don't know where the line is located.

So I am looking for the answers to these questions:
1. What do the coordinates mean?
2. Why does my computer not show the virtual screen of my TT910 ?
3. How do I update my maps that came with the TT ?
4. How do I find and install additional software on my TT ?

Let me explain the coordinates. The are Latitude and Longitude. Latitude refers to how far North or South of the equator a point is. It is express in Degrees, Minutes and Seconds and preceded by an N (north) or S (South). One minute is 1 nautical mile which is 6076 feet. The makes every second about 100 feet. Longitude refers to how far East or West of the Prime Meridiam a point is. The prime meridiam runs North and South through Greenich England. It is also expressed in degrees, minutes and seconds and preceded by E (East) or W (West). Depending on how far north or south of the equator you are a degree of longitude can be anywhere from 0 to 111 kilometers.
Lat/Long is how a GPS unit expresses where you are and where you want to get to.
Unless you know the exact coordinates of each of the corners of your property you can't use the GPS. Those coordinates should be on your plot plan or in your deed. If they only have the seconds expressed as two digits the closest you can get is around 100 feet.

I went to the surveyors office today and what you tel me is what they also tell me. I guess the TT will not be much help.

thanks anyway.

Ask a Question