Can I plan my own route?

TomTom Model(s)
Start Western Europe
Hi. I'm new to sat-nav, but am enjoying my TomTom Start (Western Europe).Today, for instance it took us to a car body shop, deep in the Devon lanes that would have been very tricky to find by map.
Once a year we fly from Gatwick to the Greek islands, usually staying at a nearby B+B. We have a favourite route avoiding m-ways and the M25 in particular. Is it possible to input this route to TomTom so that we can avoid the near-divorce stress of map-reading, while still using our favoured route?
Thanks for your help. John W.

If your model Start has Itinerary Planning, then yes you can. If not, you can add a custom menu to that model that brings back some features such as Itinerary Planning.

See here:
http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=136159

Read through the thread in the link and you should see how.

Then download TYRE from here:
http://www.tyretotravel.com/

It's the freeware link on the right side of the page. Plan your route and save to your device.

BUT...............................

If your device is a Start 20, then I'm afraid all bets are off since that model does not have IP and you can't add a custom menu to it since the user has no access to the file system.

Might make a difference which Start we're talking about. Units carrying 'Start' as all or part of their name came in both Nav2 and Nav3 versions.

@John
What are the first two characters of the serial number for your Start?
If your serial number starts with an 'X', then you have the older Nav2 unit, and you should follow David's advice for itinerary planning.
Serials starting with 'G' would also work, but I'm pretty sure those were only sold in the US and Canada.
If your serial number starts with an 'A' or 'B' or 'W', you have a Nav3 version of the Start.

Hey, thanks very much! That looks good and complex, but I'll check it out and have a go. Cheers!!:)

Hi, I download the tyre software and planned a route but how do i get it in to mt Tomtom GPS I have a 4ETY0. please help

Sorry the model in the south African version is 4ET03 and it says Canada 310 . I think it may be a XL IQ Routes ².

Last edited:
FYI - "Canada310" is nothing to do with the model name. It's just a regulatory sticker that has to be on ALL TomToms sold in the Canadian market, to say they comply with radio frequency interference specifications. It's the "Canadian Radio Standards Specification 310, Issue 3".

In general, if you have no menu item called "Itinerary Planning" and you're not able to install a custom menu to add it, then you are stuck with just being able to add one or more "via" points to your route in order to influence which way it takes you. The number you can add depends on model, the latest models allow up to 3 "vias" on current software, older models just allow one.

Ask a Question