Can I install any TomTom software on a PDA?

Hi all,

I'm going around in circles here trying to figure this out. Basically, I want to buy a PDA with a GPS and install TomTom on it. There are so many different versions of TomTom on the site, I can't tell if the difference is the software or the hardware though.

I don't need up to date traffic information. Basically, I was looking at the TomTom ONE XL and thought I could just buy a cheap PDA and install the same software on that, can't I?

Do PDA's not have as good reception as the TomTom unit?

Thanks for any help.

TomTom's software is linux based; PDA's are not as best as I can tell. Therefore, even if you could copy the firmware onto a pda, it wouldn't run.

Interestingly (or maybe not), there are rumours that TomTom (and other companies) had software ready to run on an Apple I-Phone 3G but Apple would not allow the licensing to go through.

Wow, always such quick replies on here, thanks guys!

I did have TomTom running on a Windows based PDA a few years back, it worked fine. I do recall it taking a long time to connect when we were in a city zone with tall buildings though.

The bloke who sits next to me keeps on telling me to buy a dedicated TomTom and stop trying to save cash! Maybe he's right :) Once you've bought a dedicated TomTom ONE XL, can you get software updates each time they come out?

Thanks again.

Software (or firmware, same thing) updates are always free. New maps cost more, of course.

Ask a Question