Can I Alter A Planned Route

i've got a TT 340XLS and have a question about route planning.

say i want to go from Point A to Pont B. i know how to enter the start and end points. once i have done that the TT will route me to Point B along road X. but what if i don't want to use Road X...i'd prefer to use Road B?

real life case in point. i live in suburban Chicago and want to go to Fredericksburg, TX. the TT wants to route me throught Illinois down I-55 but i'd rather use I-57. how do i/can i tell the TT device to use I-57? i know how to do this on my laptop based GPS but i can't seem to find any information on how to do this with my Tom-Tom.

thanks.

Once the route is planned, in the Route Summary screen, do you see a button at the bottom 'find alternate' on your model? If so, that's what you want.

From there you can choose to avoid part of the route or 'travel by' and select a diferent road in part of the route.

You know what I do? Just take road B and let it recalculate the route once you get on it. Try the route suggested and see howit goes.
On my other GPS I had an avoid function for a particular road on the route, but it does not seem to be on the TomTom.

isay i want to go from Point A to Pont B.

Let's get the semantics out of the way so we use the same definitions as TomTom.

Going A..B is termed an itinerary, where A is not the point from which you would start.

The normal Navigate to plans a route from the current location.

If you really want to plan a route from a different point ( A .. B) and don't want to follow the route TomTom selects you will have to make Waypoints to force TomTom to follow a route you want.
In your example it should only need a Waypoint for Kankakee.
(A, your distant start point, Kankakee as a Waypoint, Fredericksburg, TX as the destination.)

If you want to go to your destination from where you are at the start, you would follow the directions dhn gave you.

Navigate to .. Fredericksburg, TX > Fastest route > Done > Do you need to arrive at a particular time? (this question may be specific to my 930) > No. It will now show the route selected for you (that will be via I-55). Instead of Done you tap Find alternative > Travel via ... > Address > City > Kankaee (since you are still in Illinois you can just type the name. If it were in an other State you would have to select that first.)
Do not select > Avoid part of route > and enter I-55 as you will be on I-55 south of Sikeston, MO until Meamphis, TN, where you should be picking up I-40 to Little Rock, AK.

Ask a Question