Can I access phonebook w/o my phone paired?

After syncing my phone, I lost all my contacts on the phone and computer. I previously had my phone connected to my TomTom 730 with the numbers all downloaded. Is there a way to access those numbers without repaining the phone so I can copy my numbers. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

With your 730 connected through HOME use Windows Explorer.
Removable Disk (=your 730:) click on contacts, then contacts.txt, which will open with Notebook (unless you have oterh sofftware associated with TXT).

I do not think that you can copy that text file into your phone (if that is what you are actually asking). If so contact the ISP for your cell phone and ask them.

As mentioned elsewhere, I used to go through the painful pairing process but not any longer.
Any time I use my 930 with HOME the phone needed to go through the process which could last twenty minutes or longer.

If, after HOME, you set your cell phone to Always visible before you switch on the 730, the TomTom will immediately recognise the phone (voice and text display).
You can then switch back to Never visible and from then on it will always be seen by the 730 until you used HOME again.

Since October 26 it is illegal to use a hand held communication device in Ontario. I have discovered the above a couple of weeks ago. I use my 930 daily and never had to go through the pairing process again.

Thank You Arno

You are definately a life saver. I was able to get the text file from it. Now all I have to do is sit down for a couple of hours and put them all back in my phone. Again, Thank You

David Arxer

Hello David,

I am glad something worked for you.
It is really gratifying to hear that someone benefitted from a post.

Regards,
Arno

730 phonebook

I screwed up the phonebook on my Go730 by telling it to import my #s from my Moto 9Qh.

It did the import and now displays meaningless numbers instead of names.

I can't find any 'contacts' folder or contacts.txt files. How can I clear out the bad data?

It did the import and now displays meaningless numbers instead of names.
I can't find any 'contacts' folder or contacts.txt files. How can I clear out the bad data?
When you say "meaningless numbers, are you referring to the phone book of your device?

It has been some time since my last phone book importation and I decided to get the current set.
Now, in contacts.txt I get entries like
"","19054706770","DEFAULT" instead of the previous display of
"Carl/W","19054706770","WORK"
I guess I will now have to copy an older back up and edit in the now listings manually.

malagodi, if your 730 displays phone numbers only without names as I have shown above, you must have a contacts folder on your device.
Make a Windows Find search of your whole computer for contacts.txt while the 730 is connected to it. This should find the location of the contacts folder.

PHONE BOOK import drops NAMES, only shows NUMBERS

It has been some time since my last phone book importation and I decided to get the current set. Now, in contacts.txt I get entries like

"","19054706770","DEFAULT" instead of the previous display of

"Carl/W","19054706770","WORK"

Going back to the different OS used I find that 8.351 turned all listings to "DEFAULT", giving them all the same icon instead of my previous "HOME", "WORK", "MOBILE" and "DEFAULT".

I do not know which OS caused the change as I today imported the phone book again after over a year.

Last edited:
Yes this is another of the so called improvements (sic) if you still have the old text file simply put that back on the device, to update it use NotePad to add or edit entries as applicable. The file format is:

"ABCD Andy/M","0123456789","DEFAULT"
"Mike ABCD/M","0123456789","DEFAULT"
"Tim ABCD/M","0123456789","DEFAULT"
"Alix ABCD/M","0123456789","DEFAULT"
"Tony KABCD/W","0123456789","DEFAULT"
"Tony KABCD/M","0123456789","DEFAULT"
"Brian MABCD/W","0123456789","DEFAULT"
"Brian MABCD/M","0123456789","DEFAULT"
"Dennis ABCD/M","0123456789","DEFAULT"
"Mike ABCD/M","+0123456789","DEFAULT"

"NAME/W" = Work Number
"NAME/H" = Home Number
"NAME/M" = Mobile Number

In the end I got so fed up with calls crashing out and the crap sound from the built in speaker I purchased a dedicated car kit which lets me have music/ instructions from the TomTom via the car speakers and phone conversation is also played through the car speaker system, far better than using the PND for handsfree - Mike

Yes this is another of the so called improvements (sic) if you still have the old text file simply put that back on the device, to update it use NotePad to add or edit entries as applicable.
I did that before posting.

There ar 4 different icons for WORK, MOBILE, HOME and DEFAULT.
I you change "DEFAULT" as per below, the icons will too.
This is very well explained in this thread.

In the end I got so fed up with calls crashing out and the crap sound from the built in speaker I purchased a dedicated car kit which lets me have music/ instructions from the TomTom via the car speakers and phone conversation is also played through the car speaker system, far better than using the PND for handsfree - Mike
Yes, I have seen the pictures you posted and if I would still be working I most likely would have followed your suggestion there.
I never have the radio on if there is another person in the car and I prefer the unexpected, sometimes unknown selection of music offered by three (sometimes four) classical stations I can get here in Toronto.
Cheers, Arno

Ask a Question