Can calls on 910 be routed through Stereo?

I'm still tying to decide between the Tomtom 910 and the Nuvi 660 - I really like the 910 and want to like it and every time I have just about made up my mind I hear something else that makes me stop.

My question now is this - if I use the external speaker connection and plug it in to my AUX on the car stereo, I understand the directions will come through the stereo - but what about hands free calls?

I just read that phone calls still come out of the TomTom speaker - is that true or was that changed with the last firmware upgrade?

Thanks in advance!

try this

I haven't verified if this works yet, but here you go.

To get calls through your car's speaker, try this mod.
This comes from a user in another forum who figured it out how to do it.

Go to my computer and located the TomTom directory.
create the file in note pad, use save as then use Windows Explorer to rename the file to read enable_lineout_hands_free.
This is case sensitive. Delete the .txt file extension. You will see a windows warning and click ok and save the file. Make sure it's in the root directory of your device.

I haven't verified if this works yet, but here you go.

To get calls through your car's speaker, try this mod.
This comes from a user in another forum who figured it out how to do it.

Go to my computer and located the TomTom directory.
create the file in note pad, use save as then use Windows Explorer to rename the file to read enable_lineout_hands_free.
This is case sensitive. Delete the .txt file extension. You will see a windows warning and click ok and save the file. Make sure it's in the root directory of your device.

it works
read this
https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?p=15789#post15789

For those who are wondering, it works great!

Now that my 910 is in the shop I was using the ONE and I miss having the option to use my handsfree through my car speakers. I also love how it reads my text messages out loud ;)

I just did this on my mac and wanted to say that it works great!

For those of you that have macs after you create the "enable_lineout_hands_free" file (you can use textedit) select the file and go to File<Get Info. In the window that opens click the arrow next to "Name & Extension" and check the "Hide Extension" Box. This will get rid of the .txt extension.

Couldn't be happier!

For those who are wondering, it works great!

Now that my 910 is in the shop I was using the ONE and I miss having the option to use my handsfree through my car speakers. I also love how it reads my text messages out loud ;)

Hello and welcome! Glad to hear it worked for you.
I love this feature! :D

I also found that this works best with the external microphone. People had trouble hearing me with just the internal microphone. I stuffed the microphone cable between the cracks in my windshield and the car plastic so you can hardly see the cable.

Wow, I didn't know it would read out my text messages as well. I have to try this out tonight. Does it read it out in your navigation voice?

version 7.1 breaks enable_lineout_hands_free

I have not tested it yet, but some people are saying version 7.1 of tomtom software breaks enable_lineout_hands_free . but to get it to work again, you simply delete the file. it's supposed to be built into the operating system now. without a hack.

Broken on 510

Well I can't confirm whether or not it's built in now on the 910, but it no longer works on my 510 after upgrading. I tried deleting the file (enable_lineout_hands_free) and resetting the device and it's still not working. Under the speaker preferences, you now have the option to tell it where to play Instructions and Music (using internal speaker, bluetooth hi-fi device, line-out, or FM to your car), but it doesn't give an option for the phone.

Hopefully someone smarter than I will figure out how to get it working again ;)

Also, it seems a few other things are broken... despite using GPSFix, it still takes a while to find satellites, it no longer adjusts for night/day automatically, and it has options to put iPod controls on the map display, but they don't show up... hopefully we'll see some minor bug fixes in the future from TT.

confirmed broken on 910

I just tested it, and yep, it's broken on the 910, I deleted the enable_lineout_hands_free, but no luck, the phone calls come through the tomtom speaker, not car speakers. this was an important feature to me so I want to downgrade back to where I was before. does anybody know how to downgrade to 6.xx from 7.xx?

Well, I'm guessing that the programmer/developer who put the original backdoor in the v6 code built another backdoor in the v7 code - it's just a matter of finding someone who's close to him/her because I'm sure they wouldn't do without this feature. ;)

Any of the mods know anyone close to development?

Under bluetooth preferences make sure to enable hands-free calling. My GO 910 navcore 7.16 works fine with the FM dock and the T-Mobile RAZR V3, I get the phone calls on the car speakers. The only thing I noticed was a slower response from the turn by turn nav voice guidance as well as the map update; you are already making a turn and then the instructions are coming; it was a lot smoother with 6.525 code. Good luck in fixing your phone problem. Try a chkdisk and a defrag on you GO 910 thru Windows XP since the HDD is a FAT32 format; it might clean up some junk left behind ( I had some fragmented files on mine, now it's all contiguous), just my 2cents.

not talking about fm dock

We are talking about getting phone calls through speaker with the regular mount. try doing it with the regular mount and report back to us your results.

Sorry, don't have AUX audio input available on factory installed Bose radio in Nissan Altima; this is why I am using the FM dock...... Can't help you there.

Standard car dock (non-FM)

Had a little time this morning and tried the standard dock on the 910 with the audio line out connected to my pc speakers. Confirmed your situation, mp3 and navigation messages playing through the pc speakers, but phone call audio switches back to GO internal speaker. Undocumented "feature"; in other words a bug! Hope TT will fix that for all of us users.

Ask a Question