Can a bluetooth headset be used for instructions?

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
Hey all, I just bought a Motorola H710 bluetooth headset for my Sidekick 2008 cell phone. I am wondering if it is possible to use the headset with my 720 for instructions and maybe music. I just bought the headset about 10 minutes ago, and can't use it until it is completely done charging.

Would this be considered a Hi-Fi device I guess? Just wondering if anyone has been sucessful on doing this. Thanks!

Hey all, I just bought a Motorola H710 bluetooth headset for my Sidekick 2008 cell phone. I am wondering if it is possible to use the headset with my 720 for instructions and maybe music. I just bought the headset about 10 minutes ago, and can't use it until it is completely done charging.

Would this be considered a Hi-Fi device I guess? Just wondering if anyone has been sucessful on doing this. Thanks!

I would think that will work just fine,, let us know how you make out with it.

Well it finally finished charging, and tested the headset with my phone, and it works beautifully! This model has noise canceling, GREAT battery life, long range (works from one corner of my house to the other corner) and won't fall of your ear. It doesn't use an ear plug which is great. The speaker is very very loud on it. I had to turn the volume down half way. This model does not generate echo like the cheaper headsets do. GREAT HEADSET for my phone.

Now, as far as the TomTom goes, NO LUCK. I went to speaker preferences and changed the speaker output to Bluetooth Hi-Fi device. The TomTom searches for bluetooth devices and finds my headset. It comes up as "Motorola H710" then the TomTom asks me for the passkey for the device. I type in 0000, then when it finally tries to connect with the headset it comes to a red screen that says "Unable to connect to Hi-Fi device. Do you want to re-enter your password? Yes or No?"

The device passkey is 0000 according to the instructions. Not only that, but I have already tried this headset with 2 other phones and it works great. I'm guessing it doesn't work because the headset isn't A2DP. I'm guessing at the very least, that the TomTom requires a stereo headset.

I guess I won't be able to pair them up afterall. It's ok though, just woulda been cool if I could listen to instructions in my ear rather than have the TomTom have to shout out over everyones voice (who ever is in the car with me)

Is it pointless to email tech support about this?

And I'm bored so here are some screenshots for the heck of it..

dump362420308.jpg

dump362420309.jpg

dump362420310.jpg

dump362420311.jpg

dump362420312.jpg

dump362420313.jpg

dump362420314.jpg

dump362420315.jpg

dump362420316.jpg

Nope, doesn't work :( O well no big deal.

Last edited:
Ok, it is confirmed that you need a stereo bluetooth device for it to work with the TomTom.

I just went out and bought a bluetooth adapter for my PC/Laptop and am able to use the H710 headset as my PC/Laptop sound device. You can also use the microphone on it as well. So many uses for this headset.

I tried pairing up the TomTom with the PC but of course had no luck. The PC does not know what to use the TomTom for. I tried it both ways. If I select the TomTom from the PC, it fails to make a connection. The PC can see the TomTom but that's about it. I then tried selecting my PC from the TomTom itself to set up a wireless data connection, it finds the PC, but when I try to connect to it, it says it cannot determine my "phones" features.

I'm about to try to select the PC as a "Hi-Fi" device in my speaker preferences and see if it works. I will post back in a few minutes.

Edit: Nope, didn't work. The TomTom could not even locate the PC at all when looking for a Hi-Fi device.

Just though I would take the time to fiddle with the TomTom's bluetooth features. In the end, there isn't much on the TomTom.

Last edited:
I used to pair my Jabra BT500 to my TomTom when I needed to. (Granted it was a Rider which is meant to pair to a BT headset.

Is the device still paired to your phone at the time? If so it will probably not work. Many bluetooth devices are a one to one pairing.

My headset is able to pair up with 2 devices at a time, but no, the headset wasn't paired with the phone or any other device at the time. It just doesn't work. These mono headsets don't have the profile required that the TomTom is looking for.

I'm going to guess that the Rider versions are a different beast then. Mine is able to pair to the mono headset. I even had it paired to a Motorola T305 portable BT speaker at one time. (although that just didn't work out...)

Ok, it is confirmed that you need a stereo bluetooth device for it to work with the TomTom.

Which makes *no* sense since in many states (I can confirm California) it's illegal to wear something that covers both ears while driving. That feature must be intended for another use case (I guess if you're sitting in your cube with the TomTom in its cradle you can use it as an MP3 player if you're not connected to TT HOME).

I've got the predecessor, the Motorola H700, with similar results. It sees the device, just not as a HiFi Bluetooth device.

Which makes *no* sense since in many states (I can confirm California) it's illegal to wear something that covers both ears while driving. That feature must be intended for another use case (I guess if you're sitting in your cube with the TomTom in its cradle you can use it as an MP3 player if you're not connected to TT HOME).

I've got the predecessor, the Motorola H700, with similar results. It sees the device, just not as a HiFi Bluetooth device.

It makes perfect sense because newer cars are starting to include bluetooth stereos in their cars. That's mainly what it is intended for. Yea you can buy stereo headset/headphones but that wouldn't be too cool. Wearing headphones is a no no while driving. Also, there are little bluetooth speakers that you can purchase designed for cars. It's like a little box you can mount on either your visor or headliner.

What I don't understand is simply why they wont allow non-A2DP devices to work on the TomTom units designed for cars.

Of course The Rider series is a whole different story. They do work with mono headsets, but because you're on a bike and some people like the option of being able to hear stuff outside the road. I'm wondering if the Rider series is even compatible with A2DP (Stereo headset/headphones). I think having stereo wouldn't be too safe on a motorcycle.

not just any stereo headset

FWIW I also have a Motorola S9 Bluetooth stereo headset. When prompted to go looking for a HiFi audio device, it doesn't find the S9. So not just any stereo headset works.

Well I'll be DAMNED!!!!!! I just bought a stereo bluetooth headset. I bought the Motorola HT810 stereo headphones, and DAMN! It actually paired up with the TomTom on the first try! Not only that, the TomTom has the BEST CD/HD quality sound of ALL the devices I have tried these headphones with. I played music on 2 cell phones, my laptop, PC and now the TomTom with these headphones, and seriously, the TomTom has the BEST and PERFECT sound of them all. Awesome bass.

I played the same exact song/mp3 on all of my devices "I don't want to miss a thing" and I'm extremely amazed at how crystal clear it sounds. Of all things I thought the PC would have the best sound, but NO! The TomTom is the best. Weird..

Anyway I'm just a bit happy that for ONCE I finally got to see what it's like to use a Hi-Fi device on this 720. Instructions play clearly too. Once the TomTom pairs up with the headphones, it brings you to a screen where you can "test" the headphones to make sure they are working.

My friend has the S9 headphones and it works great with his 930, so I would try to pair them up again. Make sure you're using the passkey "0000" which I'm sure you already know.

I was gonna get the S9's but since I'll be using these headphones mostly at a hotel/home/travel, I wanted ones that would cover my whole ear and had cushions. I have these now hooked up to my TV via the "line in" port on my PC via the bluetooth adapter. Works great. No more waking people up at night with my TV/PC.

http://direct.motorola.com/ens/BTStereoHS_Web_ProductHome.asp

These can be used for phone calls too but nah, that's what my H710 is for.

Ask a Question