Can 920 run totally off SD card (backup issue)

F22

I've read a few threads where folks have somehow bollixed up their units and lost maps or other necessities for using the TT.

I know the unit can use parallel files and folders on a sd card. So I was wondering if copying INTERNAL memory to a 4gig card would allow the TT920 to function if the internal storage got accidently blown away.

I was also wondering if anyone has tried one of those usb-bridge type devices that can connect two different usb devices and move files/folders back and forth with a TT.

I don't generally take a laptop on my car camping trips in the States but being able to get back a functioning gps using other methods might be worth considering.

Thanks in advance

Yes, that will work just fine. There is a bit of concern on the forum about using 4g cards. some report they work fine.

I use a 2g card and if you just copy everything to the card, the unit then boots from the card. easiest way to do it is with an sd card reader and a file manager program to copy files and folders to the card.

another way, but much slower, is to do a backup through home, install a blank sd card and then do a restore through home.

with the sd cards coming down in price, a second card would make a good backup as well.

I've already found a 4gig card that works (Transcend - mail order, although I now see Fry's may have them). I've loaded it with music, mp3-ebook and some videos.

I gather this is NO internal file handling (copy/move) or Explorer type functions?

Hmm, that would seem a nice extension of its linux base.

Actually there are a couple Bluetooth terminal packages which are supposed to allow you to login to the Linux console and use shell commands. I'm on a Mac and haven't gotten them to work unfortunately.

This should get you started, and Google should find more info for you: http://www.webazar.org/tomtom/bluetooth.php?lang=uk

Let us know if you get this working...

Actually there are a couple Bluetooth terminal packages which are supposed to allow you to login to the Linux console and use shell commands. I'm on a Mac and haven't gotten them to work unfortunately.

This should get you started, and Google should find more info for you: http://www.webazar.org/tomtom/bluetooth.php?lang=uk

Let us know if you get this working...

Interesting. I've been there, I believe, for the tripmaster program.

I don't have bluetooth on my computer. All I need is yet another USB whatever. Actually, I'm looking for a new keyboard and want one that connects the OLD way - I do not want a usb keyboard.

Ask a Question