can 920 be viewer for backup camera?

USB Pin-out

The 920 has a standard mini-USB "B" connector. The pin-out is available here: http://pinouts.ru/Devices/mini-USB_pinout.shtml. I'm not sure, but you might need to reverse the Data+/Data-, since both the camera and the TomTom are considered "peripheral" devices.

You would need to write and install a program to read the data and display on the TomTom. I don't know anything about that.

There are other issues to consider:

1. Does the TomTom actually provide the +5V output needed to power a camera? I suspect not. You might resolve this by splitting the power-supply cable into a Y-cable, with one end providing power to the TomTom and the other bringing power and data to a female connector for the camera.
  2. Can the TomTom be set to read data while not in "connect to computer" mode?
  3. Can the TomTom be set to read data while not in "connect to computer" mode?
  4. The maximum USB cable distance is 4m (~12ft). This would make cable routing difficult in most vehicles. Distance can be extended through the use of a USB hub, but even 8m might be cutting it close for a clean, permanent installation.

What would be really nice is a TomTom unit with a built-in 2.4GHz video receiver for one of the readily-available wireless back-up cameras sold on eBay and elsewhere.

And, if you're accepting wish-list items, a partnership between TomTom and Valentine-1 to provide radar/laser detection with visual location indication on the display.

And please, please, please, a bigger, more accurate POI database with better search capabilities.

We're probably now talking about a device costing $800 (US), but it would clean my dashboard of everything except the TomTom.

Ask a Question