Camera Warnings on Go640 Live

TomTom Model(s)
Go 300 Classic, Go 940 Live
I have been having great problems getting the warning sound to operate when approaching a traffic camera. When I first bought my Go 940 I installed a downloaded sound file from the Community, which made a double beep sound and a verbal announcement on approaching a camera. I was very satisfied with this solution. However, I suddenly lost the facility and was left with what I think is the default(?) double beep sound without an announcement. I believe this was after a software update from TomTom, though I can't be sure. For at least 2 years since this time I have been trying to get many different downloaded warning sounds to operate again without the slightest success. I have fiddled and faffed about for hours trying different things with no success. I would be most grateful if there is anyone out there who can put me out of my misery, and tell me how to get back to the happy situation I was in earlier, with a "heads up" beep and an announcement. Thanks in anticipation, Lester1047 :confused:

Hi Lester1047 and welcome to TTF.

I can't tell if you have or haven't lost your warning sounds from the information you gave. It does sound like a menu item choice has changed so you don't have either voice or sound warnings.

Perhaps there would be something in this link (toward the last half) from PocketGPSWorld with its pictorals to help guide you through the menus to make sure you've all the correct choices ticked.

Can you confirm whether you are trying to set up TomTom's OWN speed camera system, or a third-party one (such as PGPSW's) - as the set-up steps are different.

TT Go940 Live camera warnings

Dear alfie67 and Andy_P,
I have not lost my warning sounds when approaching a camera. I get a double bleep repeated twice. I am using TomTom's own camera system and I am trying to enhance the warning sound by replacing it with a warning downloaded from TomTom's own Community, which is accessed from TomTom Home via Add Traffic, Voices (etc)\Sounds\Warning Sounds. I have then been trying to attach these sounds to the Camera system by using the Manage POI's\Warn when near a POI and then selecting "Cameras", which is one of the POIs, and then selecting the sound file previously downloaded from the community. I have not yet read all of the excellent link provided by alfie67, but I am most impressed by the site. Would you advise me to use PGPSW's camera databases instead of Tom Tom's? I subscribe to TomTom's camera updates which I regularly download via TT Home.

@Lester
Understand your desire to have a sound that better gets your attention. Copying your preferred sound to the "sounds" folder should make it visible when you go to select a warning sound for the TomTom supplied speed cam POIs. Seems to work OK here on my GO740.

However, we aren't using the same system to associate sounds with traffic cameras. My 740 is a "Live" unit, so it requires me to approach the menu somewhat differently.

As for PGPSW as a data source, absolutely. While I find TomTom's array of fixed camera data works well here in the U.S. where that's almost exclusively what we face, I hear that they do a poor job of mobile cams in the rest of the world, and that the PGPSW database is updated more frequently and is far more complete in places like the UK.

As for looking for a sound - I have come to appreciate "Warn5". Although it sounds a bit like a submarine preparing to submerge, it really gets my attention much better than the other 'stock' sounds that TomTom supplies.

I am using TomTom's own camera system...... I have then been trying to attach these sounds to the Camera system by using the Manage POI's\Warn when near a POI and then selecting "Cameras", which is one of the POIs, and then selecting the sound file previously downloaded from the community.

That's where you are going wrong!

As I alluded to above, the set-up for TomTom's OWN cameras is different from third-party ones.

TomTom's own cameras are definitely NOT found under "Manage POIs/Warn when near POI".... they are set up in Live Services/Safety Cameras, or Live Services/Speed cameras, or Safety preferences / Safety cameras (depending on software version and model).

When you set them up there, any sound files you have added to the "sounds" folder will be shown and available for use.

So the POI you found called "Cameras" in Manage POIs, must be something you have added sometime in the past.

Would you advise me to use PGPSW's camera databases instead of Tom Tom's? I subscribe to TomTom's camera updates which I regularly download via TT Home.

Yes definitely, especially if you are in the UK.
Head over to PGPSW's forum to see lots of topics about how theirs is better than TomTom's.
(I'll state now that I'm a camera "verifier" for them).

Last edited:
TT Go940 Live camera warnings

Dear All,
I'm so glad I posted my question on the Forum.
I have every expectation that Andy_P's solution will work (many thanks), thus alleviating 2 years of frustration.
Thanks to canderson and Andy_P for the recommendation about PGPSW's camera databases, canderson's suggestion of "Warn5", and to alfie67 for putting me onto the excellent PGPSW site initially.
This has been a very positive experience for me, and I hope in the future I can contribute back to the Forum in some way, in gratitude. Many thanks.:thumb:

Ask a Question