• Acer

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Dell

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Niether

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OK so I'm working for an old friend and it's great. I need a new computer for the job and I recommended a laptop as I will be off-site a bit. Better to have all my resources with me instead of a bunch of CD/DVDs and having to access a client computer...

We are a reseller for Acer and Dell from what I am told.

When I'm home I have my HP dv9000 -
Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition
Duo Core 2.16GHz Processors
2GB RAM
300GB HDD
17" Screen
and full-size keyboard with number pad <---must have

I know Dells... I don't know Acer.
Which would you choose? And what model?

well,
it depends on if you are paying for this machine or not.
If you have to choose between the two, I would get Acer...
I saw one for sale that was pretty decent not too long ago.
Simply I choose Acer for its user-friendly one touch buttons.
I have Sony Vaio laptop for primary use...
After this experience, I want a computer that is light, durable, and has
many function buttons that does not require for me to press function button..
It is such a hassel.

If you are gonna pay out of your pocket 100%, I would recommand toshibas.
If you are getting somekind of discount or perheps they are gonna give you
one, I would take Acer..
Dell is too boxy and heavy for me.

like I said... my HP @ home is a workhorse. with that comes weight. 8lbs I think. it doesn't bother me to lug it around.

I won't be paying but this is a small 'mom & pop' type business, so whatever my boss pays, I'll feel it somewhere down the line.

I can choose between the two only as we get deals on them. otherwise yeah...it will be out of my own pocket. And wife-y-poo won't like me much of I do that!!!

(gmb - please vote on the poll for quick reference for me?)

Acer : Largest PC manufacture in Taiwan. Subside also own, BenQ, BenQ Siemens, Apacer, Lite-on, etc....

Dell : Direct contract manufacture also from Taiwan called Tatung. Also been well known for electronic item, mostly home equipment, TV, Microwave..etc.

Reliability: I would say, they are the same.
Customer service/ Tech support: hmm...almost all of them outsource to India.

In reality, there is no such thing as the best PC or notebook.
Parts from everywhere.
Dell PC mostly has Asus OEM motherboard
E-machine using FIC or Shuttle.
so on and so forth.

I don't like HP/Compaq mainly because it install way too much junk in your pc.
Check your msconfig.....
Yes, you can uninstall them, but just so much problem. (specially when you have to log into safemode!!!)

In today's application, RAM will make your system run "faster".....oooops. I forgot about HD speed.
________
Vapir

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of my Dell Latitude D420, but if you're looking for power, go for the D620. The D420 is only available with the Core Duo 1.2GHz U2500 processor, which is NOT based on the new Core 2 microarchitecture, it's based on the old P4-style NetBurst microarchitecture, making it not quite as fast per GHz. Another downside to the D420 is it's Max RAM is 2GB (1.5, if you listen to Dell, but you can slap a 2GB chip in it in addition to the 512MB soldered to the motherboard, but it'll recognize a max of 2GB)... that and it only comes with a 4200RPM 1.8" HDD.

It may sound like I dislike my D420, but don't get me wrong...the portability is what sold me. It weighs all of 4 pounds with the extended battery. 12.1" widescreen... beats the heck out of lugging a 6+ lb laptop through airports, on trains, and on my daily commute ;)

I have always been a big fan of Lenovo (IBM) Thinkpads - they tend to be more rugged then both Acer and Dell. It's about the only thing IBM ever did well and their support historically has been 2nd to none.

Thinkpads have gone to crap since Lenovo took over. My company has had nothing but problems with them, from hardware failures to poor service from Lenovo.

Well, I have the IBM Thinkpad T42 for over a year now and have not experienced problems whatsoever.

I also have the Lenovo V100 and that has been giving me problems and headaches.

I think the Thinkpad series are great, its just the Lenovo self branded ones that you want to steer away from.

I would recommend Dell Latitudes. Where I work we've been using Dell Laptops for about 4 years. I would avoid the Inspiron line, from my experience is lower quality then the Latitudes. I have D620 and am very happy with it. As far as Dell support or any support as mentioned above it is all outsourced.

Which reminds me of a cartoon of the reality of this country.

santa.jpg

I chose the Dell option because my friend bought the Inspiron E1405 and he likes it. He has no problems with it however he has owned for just about 2 months I think.

I've read some ACER threads about bad customer support.

Anyway, the poll is closing soon. Have you made a decision yet?

HP dv9000t wins.

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo T7200 (2.0GHz/4MB L2Cache)
Display 17.0" WXGA+ Ultra BrightView Widescreen (1440x900)
Graphics Card 512MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) Go 7600
Memory 2GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
Hard Drive 200GB 7200RPM SATA Dual Hard Drive (100GB x 2)
Primary CD/DVD Drive HD DVD ROM with SuperMulti DVD+/-R/RW Double Layer
Networking Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network w/Bluetooth

@ Dealer invoice

HP dv9000t wins.

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo T7200 (2.0GHz/4MB L2Cache)
Display 17.0" WXGA+ Ultra BrightView Widescreen (1440x900)
Graphics Card 512MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) Go 7600
Memory 2GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
Hard Drive 200GB 7200RPM SATA Dual Hard Drive (100GB x 2)
Primary CD/DVD Drive HD DVD ROM with SuperMulti DVD+/-R/RW Double Layer
Networking Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network w/Bluetooth

@ Dealer invoice

haha...you didn't go for either a Dell or Acer

haha...you didn't go for either a Dell or Acer

If you want somethng RUGGED, check out a Panasonic Toughboook....

I just bought a Fujitsu this past weekend, it seems pretty sturdy and well built.....built by or friend in Japan....not many laptops on the market are made in Japan anymore.

If you want somethng RUGGED, check out a Panasonic Toughboook....

I just bought a Fujitsu this past weekend, it seems pretty sturdy and well built.....built by or friend in Japan....not many laptops on the market are made in Japan anymore.

I just checked out the Panasonic Toughbook and it reminds me of the old CD Walkmans. It really does have a tough exterior look but it's not my style.

I'm more of a sleek, stylish, business look laptop like a Dell Latitude-ish type.

Thanks for the sugestion though.

Ask a Question