Buy new map or new GPS?

ifi

Hi,

I was wondering if I should pay $99 to buy a new map for my TT1 or just buy a new TT1 off eBay for between $110 - $120?

And why is there a 12 months limit on map sharing among community members? If something is powered by community then it must be free, right?

Thanks!

Last edited:
If it were free for an unlimited amount of time, then no one would ever need to buy new maps, which means alot of lost money for TomTom. They aren't going to let that happen lol. This is the same company that just last year took away the ability to buy a newer, bigger maps designed for the 720/920, and download it to the TT1 SD card instead. TT is looking at their bottom line. It sucks for us! lol

Anyway mapshare doesn't let us add roads,just correct many things on existing roads..

so in order to stay uptodate, we,ll have to buy a new map from time to time

Also don't forget that, if you want new features, such as lane guidance and IQ routing, you will need new maps to take advantage of those. They know how to make incentives for their consumers to buy new maps.

But, shouldn't it be priced reasonably - So that the people won't have to decide between purchasing a new map or a new GPS device - thats silly :)

Looks like we will have to wait till someone comes up with Open Source Maps...

But, shouldn't it be priced reasonably - So that the people won't have to decide between purchasing a new map or a new GPS device - thats silly :)

Looks like we will have to wait till someone comes up with Open Source Maps...

Simply getting open source maps would not be sufficient. When TT gets its maps from TeleAtlas, it does some manipulations and additions to them and encrypts them before releasing them to their users. There are road, city, state names and pronounciation fields, the voice recognition db, postal code information etc. You need to remember the maps we use are not simply altitude photographs of an area. The way software expects the data varies from pnd manufacturer to manufacturer and we would also need an open source software to use the open source maps. Due to the limited integrated chipset hardware aspect, I'm under the impression the open source navigational software would be easier to implement than the maps that need to cover so much lightly populated areas.

Ask a Question