Burned out Tom Tom?

Hi. I am looking for some help about my and my friend's Tom Tom.

My friend said her GPS was not working and asked to borrow mine. When she plugged it in in her car, nothing happened, and it would not turn on. She then borrowed another friends and it would not work either. She is worried that she has 'fried' our units. I am wondering if her outlet is putting out too many amps and it burned up our units, or is it possible that there is a fuse in the battery charger that has blown? Has anyone had a problem with something like this before?

Before she replaces these units for us, I want to make sure that it isn't something that can be easily fixed. Any suggestions?

Many thanks!
jcovault

My friend said her GPS was not working and asked to borrow mine. When she plugged it in in her car, nothing happened, and it would not turn on. She then borrowed another friends and it would not work either. She is worried that she has 'fried' our units. I am wondering if her outlet is putting out too many amps and it burned up our units, or is it possible that there is a fuse in the battery charger that has blown? Has anyone had a problem with something like this before?

Before she replaces these units for us, I want to make sure that it isn't something that can be easily fixed. Any suggestions?
The first thing that I would look at is whether there was anything common between all of the units other than the car.

For example - and this is the first place I would look, based upon the problems other people have had - did you happen to use the same cable each time?

Next - did you happen to use the same charger each time?

Also, do you know if her car has power to the cigarette lighter adapter (CLA) at all times, or only when the ignition is switched on? If the latter, did you try it with the ignition switched on?

I can see several possible causes that would not mean dead units, but it would be helpful if you could describe in detail exactly how you attempted to use the units. Also, what models did you use? All the same model (which one?) or different models (which model numbers?).

With best wishes,
- Tom -

I don't want to scare you unduly, but was it a fairly old model (one where the charger connects with a small round plug rather than a USB plug)?

There was a design problem with those old-style chargers where in a fault condition exactly what you said could occur (actually it was not to many Amps, but too many Volts...).

Tell her NOT to plug the charger into any more units, but does she remember if the power light in the on-off switches DID come on when the units wouldn't otherwise switch on? If they did, it's probably bad news, if they didn't, it's more hopeful.

To make a final confirmation, she'll need to find someone with a voltmeter to check the charger. The output should be 5V, definitely not 12V.

Ask a Question