Building Route

Hello everyone, new to the board and also new owner of a TomTom One.
So far I like the way it operates and really like the strong GPS reception. Much less bulky then the laptop to carry, plus we can mount it on our motorcycle.
Only thing that seems slow and tiresome is putting in the route when you want to designate what roads you wish to travel on. Enlarging and shrinking the screen to place a waypoint is a slow process when planning a 6-7000 mile trip.
I am use to using DeLorme on my laptop where you use the curser to just click in the waypoints.
Is there any way to load the TomTom US map into a computer, from the unit or a CD, build your route and save it to a SD card to plug in to the TomTom to load the route from it?
The Wanderer

You can use Google Earth & Tyre (both free) to build your itinaries. If you can't find the info here, just google for them.

I just tried it. But it seems to not work for me. It shows New File in (red).
Will inport the earth file I made up and saved, but will let me do nothing else.
Anything I click on a box pops up with incorredt fole name. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks all that are tring to help a dummy out.

You have to save the kml/kmz file in GE, open it with Tyre , edit out couples of waypoints (TomTom doesn't like too many waypoints), write it to TomTom in the ITN format.

Another way to plan is using MS Street & Trips, this one costs money (around 40$). This way I had to use 2 programs: POIConverter to covert the EST file to OV2, then POIEdit to convert OV2 to ITN. Couldn't find a program to do a direct conversion.:(

For some reason Tyre will not run on my HP no mater what I do. Loaded it and GE on the Dell, which is a bit slower, and it works great. Have no idea why it will not work on the HP.

Ok, another dumb question. Set the route in GE, saved opened in Tyre, all looked OK as far as I can tell. Then sent to the Tom Tom One. Said it transfered all OK. But now how do I find it in the ToTom to open it.
Thanks.

Ok, another dumb question. Set the route in GE, saved opened in Tyre, all looked OK as far as I can tell. Then sent to the Tom Tom One. Said it transfered all OK. But now how do I find it in the ToTom to open it.
Thanks.

It should be an itinerary. In the main menu, go to itinerary planning, then options, then load itinerary.

Ask a Question