Brand new Go 730 ! do i need a screen protector?

I've got a brand new Go 730 - have been waiting for it for a long time. Finally, my wife bought it for me after a tiff. It's so new i can smell it - new plastic etc.

Do i need a screen protector? What do you guys recommend?

Some use them, some do not. How's that for an answer? Often, just a soft cloth will remove any fingerprints that get on the glass.

To me personally a remote beats any screen protector. I hardly ever touch my 740 anymore. The only time I ever have to is when I enter my password.

I have owned several TomTom GPS units and I have never used a screen protector for any of them, although I use screen protectors for many other products like my BlackBerry. TomTom screens seem flexible and durable enough to withstand minor scratches. My ONE XL that I've had for a couple of years has no scratches on the screen whatsoever.

To be honest a screen protector is more hasstle than its worth bothing with, any small air bubble trapped under the protector can exert pressure on the screen as the air trapped warms up in car leading to false screen presses and random menu selections, I wouldn't bother with one of these at all - Mike

I use screen protector, I put screen protector the next day I got my Go720, It protects the screen from scratches cuz sometimes you touch the screen with greesy fingers. You can take out bubbles using your credit card by slowly moving your credit card accross the screen.

I never used screen protectors. I've used Balckberries since 5 years, never rendered a screen unusable because of scratches. I butsed a screen because I dropped the BB on concrete. What will destroy a screen is not a scratch, it's a hit and, against a hit, a little flexible tiny film of plastic won't help one second.

I have my TT since a few years and I carry it all over the place. The only concession I make is to tape a piece of cardboard on the screen when I throw the TT loose in my backpack while I travel by plane. No screen "protector" because they don't protect anything that need protection.

We need to forget our mom's warnings about not putting our fingers in the window. These things are tough, as far as scratch resistance is concerned. They are designed to be touched. Even greasy fingers aren't a problem. That can be cleaned in a pinch with a facial tissue dampened with Windex. IMHO, these "screen protectors" are a gimmick intended to make money.

A screen protector was the first thing I bought for my XL340S. Cost me less than $5 on the bay, went on perfectly, works like a charm, and now I rest easy about possible scratches. I've used them on every touchscreen device I've owned with no regrets. IMO, a must.

Last edited:

Ask a Question