BMW Mini Mount

TomTom Model(s)
Here is my attempt at getting my 910 installed so that I don't have that telltale ring on the windscreen.

The New BMW Mini has round Air Vents and you can buy a range of Chrome Line Covers that go over the top of most parts in the New Mini including the original Air Vents. (1),
I used these to base the mount on.

I already had the full set installed in my car but if you don't have these
then you could still use the idea as the 'Chrome Line Air Vent Covers'
come in a set of 2 and could be sprayed the the original colour of your dash. The 'Covers' are held into place with 3M tape that is provided on the inside of the 'Cover'.

Having found a cheap set of Chrome Covers(on a auction site)(2),
I had a piece of glass cut to fit on the inside of one of the vent covers (3), This piece of glass was then fixed into place using 'Aroldite',
having first removed the 3M tape from the inside(4).
This was then fixed into place over the top of the 'Cover' that was fitted on the car, sandwiching the glass between the 2 covers.
The cables then run down the side of the glovebox.(5)
The view from the drivers side (6) is great and because its inside the screen is not affected with Sunglare.

(1) Air Vent with Chrome line Cover fitted.
AirVent800.jpg

(2) Spare Chrome Line Cover
VentCover800.jpg

(3) Glass
Glass800.jpg

(4) Glass in place
SetinPlace800.jpg

(5) Mount in place
Inplace800.jpg

(6) Drivers View
DriversView800.jpg

View from the centre
CentreView800.jpg

Let the Aroldite dry well after fitting the glass and then having fitted it over the Cover on the Air Vent, allow time for it to dry before attaching the TT Mount.

If you are using the 'Chrome Line Covers' for the first time, leave plenty of time for the 3M tape to set in place on your car before you glue the other cover and and glass on top of it.

Using this method you can remove it when you sell your car and the car has not been defaced in anyway. No Holes etc.

My MINI doesn't look like yours... You steering wheel is on the wrong side... ;) :D

I like the mount idea though... I just got a Ram mount and a 5" extension and mounted my TT Rider to the center of the front window. The 5" mount arm brings the unit into reach.

I find that to be a truly incredible concept. The only thing that would bother me is one less vent in the car. I find living in the HOT Florida sun My car does not cool as much as I would like to. Otherwise I love my car as much as I love my wife and 2 dogs.

Ask a Question