Bluetooth tips and tricks

I haven't had a lot of time to play with it until last night but I finally got my 720 wireless data connection to work with my phone. That phone is a Cingular (or AT&T) 8125 running a WM6 custom cooked ROM with the BT DUN hack built in.

Previously I had tweaked a registry setting so that the GPRS connection was always active since I get e-mail via my corporate exchange server. In the course of loading a new ROM I tried getting the 720 to work prior to enabling that reg tweak and lo and behold!!!

I then played around with it and discovered that if I had a GPRS connection active, say browsing the web, and tried to access TomTom Plus services like weather, it would say that it could not connect. If I ended the GPRS connection (in my case by holding the end key) and then tried again it worked.

I am still trying to figure out why the 720 needs to start from an unconnected state and if I do I will update here. I am not sure if this info will be useful to anyone but thought I would share with the class.

I got the handsfree working with my Treo 755p even though it's unsupported. I'm out of luck with the data connection though because it's a Sprint phone. I knew that when I bought the 720 but was still hopeful because the Treo 650 is supposed to be compatible. I think it's the carrier.

Bluetooth On?
Discoverable (yes) Hidden (No)

Then try this: (I can't claim credit but its been on this site several times)

Sprint
Phone Model: Treo 650

Access Point Name: Leave Blank
username: (e-mail address removed)
password: your sprintpcs password (not your sprint account password)
IP Address: Automatically assigned (DHCP)
DNS: Automatically assigned
Login Script: <leave blank>
Phone # to dial: #777

Good luck!

Almost??

I have a Palm Treo 755p (with Sprint)

It looks like this works right up to the part where it asks me for the dial #.

I entered #777 for the dial #, and then I get the msg 'Unable to set up your wireless data connection'.

What is the #777 dial # for? Could it be another #?

Thanks for the help.

Paul

To get the wireless data going on a sprint phone you have to have a Sprint data plan, which is different then the Vision or Power Vision most folks have (myself included). That's the only way to use the Phone As Modem with the newer Sprint phones. The older phones would let you do a PAM with a simple vision package using the #777.

Thanks RFI4U. That explains it. I have the treo through my office, and it has the following features.

Three Way Calling
Numeric Paging
Voicemail
Call Forwarding
Caller ID
Call Waiting
Sprint 411

But no data plan. Thanks for the reply.

Ask a Question