Bluetooth Remote Compatibility

TomTom Model(s)
GO 930
Hello All

I'm new to the forum, so I'm sorry if this has already been covered, I couldn't find anything about it with a search.

I have a GO 930 which came with a bluetooth remote. I am looking at upgrading to a GO 2535. The 2535 doesn't come with a remote but it does have bluetooth compatibility so I am wondering if a bluetooth remote would still work with a 2535. I called TomTom to ask but the lady I talked to wasn't even aware that ANY TomTom's were compatible with remotes, so no help there. I love having the remote and don't want to lose that feature. Does anyone know if the 2535 will accept the bluetooth remote? If not, is there another more recent model that will accept the bluetooth remote? Or should I just keep the 930? Also, if the 2535 or another model will work with the bluetooth remote, should I hang on to the remote I have now or can someone show me where I can buy a remote by itself, they seem to be hard to come by.

Thanks!

Non of the current TomTom model range will work with the old remote controls, apparantly this is something to do with progress (sic) - Mike

Welcome to TTF!.

Unfortunately, none of the remotes that worked with the 7X or 9X models work with any of the 2X models. And, at this point, there has been no indication if and when there will ever be a remote compatible with the newer devices.

So, it's your call. Personally, I'd keep that 930 as long as possible. One of the last units that had features such as an sd slot, fm player, remote (as you said), EPT, the ability to work with Home 2 rather than the flakey MyTomTom required for the newer models, etc.

Well, you get the idea...............:D

That is a shame. The remote is a great feature that makes using a GPS much safer and not to mention more comfortable especially in a larger vehicle like mine. It's silly that TomTom wouldn't allow the bluetooth remote from the 930 to work with the newer 2000 series. If that's the case then they developed the bt remote technology (no small feat) for compatibility with only a half dozen now outdated models.

Personally, I'd keep that 930 as long as possible. One of the last units that had features such as an sd slot, fm player, remote (as you said), EPT, the ability to work with Home 2 rather than the flakey MyTomTom required for the newer models, etc.

Yes the SD slot is another feature I'd prefer not to lose. The FM doesn't do much for me, that's just for playing the audio through the vehicles radio right? Or does it have other functionality? Also, what's EPT?

I wasn't aware there was another program beyond Home, what are the cons of this MyTomTom you speak of?

The FM doesn't do much for me, that's just for playing the audio through the vehicles radio right?Or does it have other functionality?
Yup - you can have the navigation instructions, POI warnings, etc. send to your FM radio as well, not just music.

Also, what's EPT?
Think of it as inertial navigation. If you get out of coverage for a short period (e.g., in a tunnel) it attempts to plot your course using a little accelerometer chip while you're in there and out of GPS coverage.

I wasn't aware there was another program beyond Home, what are the cons of this MyTomTom you speak of?
It's not so much a shortcoming of MyTomTom as it is the new units in combination with that app. So far, a lot of things you may have used from Home (like backing up your unit, sending an itinerary, and buying a new map) are all non-functional -- so far.

EPT is Enhanced Positioning Technology. The 930 has small gyroscopes onboard such that when the gps signal is lost in tunnels or in a location with tall buildings, EPT kicks in to 'guesstimate' the movement of the car, rather than the movement being essentially stopped in non EPT models.

MyTomTom is web based and all Navcore 10X models such as 1X, 2X, Via models must use that. Also, you have no access to the file system on the newer models so no possibility of user backups, etc.

Ask a Question