Bluetooth PAN support

I understand the devices only support Bluetooth DUN (dial up network profile) so far. What are the chances that tomtom will soon support the more widespread bluetooth PAN anytime soon? Most new smartphones (including the upcoming iphone 3.0) will not support DUN anymore. Does anyone have some insight or might even know how to use PAN with the current releases?

Thanks!

This is my biggest gripe. DUN is killing me here... what's surprising is that it is actually more difficult to setup DUN on Linux today, so I don't understand why PAN support hasn't been added.

No PAN

I'd asked the same question to TomTom last December, and here's the reply I got:

Dear Steve,

Thank you for taking the time to contact TomTom Support regarding PAN support on TomTom devices. We are always happy to help.

We currently don't have any information on when, if ever, our devices will support the PAN Bluetooth profile. However, we will forward your comments to the appropriate department so they know there is customer interest in this feature.

Thank you for choosing TomTom for your navigation needs. If you have any further questions or comments, please email or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM until 7:00 PM EST or Saturday, 9:00 AM until 6:00 PM EST. Thanks again for writing. At TomTom we believe in showing you the way the easy way.

With Best Regards,

Tom
TomTom Customer Support

Windows Mobile 6 Dial Up Networking (DUN)

For those that have tried to use your Windows Mobile 6 phones with your TomTom device without any success:

1) Download attached 'WM6_BT_DUN.cab.zip''
2) Extract 'WM6_BT_DUN.cab and copy it to your Windows Mobile
3) On your phone, use File Explorer and run the file you just copied to it.
4) Accept all prompts
5) Once you have clicked OK after successful installation, cycle power to your phone
6) Repair your phone, your TomTom will now recognise Dial Up Networking

Attachments

• WM6_BT_DUN.cab.zip
    26.7 KB · Views: 394
AFAIK the CAB file attached to the previous post will only work with WM6/ 6,1 based PDA style phones manufactured by HTC, I have a WM6,1 device made by MWg and cannot get DUN on that, but all my HTC devices are quite happy to accept the CAB file - Mike

:confused: I ran across this forum post because I too am a firm believer that TomTom, being a very forward thinking company would WANT to support Bluetooth PAN ASAP because of the migration of the devices available to connect to using this protocol and the dwindling number of devices that are still supporting DUN. I have the above mentioned cab file in my HTC so that I can use TomTom Traffic (which I have paid for) but it is a total PITA because everytime I want to do a traffic update, I have to end my data connection on my phone, which causes my phone to no longer receive emails from my provider... then after my traffic update is done, I have to disable bluetooth on my phone to again reconnect the data to get my emails.. which btw are much more important than traffic. It would be such a sweet device for me if PAN support was included in the next update or at least one that is due for my device very soon.

I also spoke to a rep today about the possiblity of adding a feature to the device so that you could have it turn ON when external power was applied. This would allow switched ciger lighter power supply connections in the car to effectively turn the device off and on with the ignition key. Hey guys! Ya got it so that it will turn OFF with the ignition key now, how about adding the other logical operator for us. The support rep today I was talking to agree whole-heartedly that it would be a very nice feature for ALL of us.

Sorry if the second paragraph was off topic in this particular post but I do hope that the person in this thread that said he would forward the request along does so again and includes this post and that this doesn't just die here.

I can tell you this. The two features mentioned above will rank high on my list of considerations for my next purchase, provided I need to make one because my current device cannot be made to include these features.

I also recently took a trip to Colorado. It would have been handy to have been able to look at my altitude SOMEWHERE on the device. I seem to recall that I could do so on my 3rd Edition which cost much less than the GO 720.

Having said all of that, most of the device is very solid and works well. Keep up the good work guys. :eek:

Ask a Question