Bluetooth External Speaker options for 910?

Hi, my TT910 has been working great in my 07 cooperS. I guess I listened to too much LOUD Led Zeppelin et al back in the day, so I'm having a little trouble hearing the nav and phone audio from the internal speaker. Although I would love to have a real Bluetooth set up with steering wheel controls, etc., I feel I need to wait on that one both financially and technically here in the US. Do any of you have any suggestions on a external speaker I can pair with TomTom? I don't need high fidelity, just clarity and volume. I'm happy with the phone interface, so I really don't need a portable car kit per se. I tried a Parrot Minikit, but I couldn't get it to pair with the 910 and actually the sound/volume was worse that the 910 anyway. I suppose if there were a wired option that had decent clarity and volume but small enough to "hide" out of the way, that would work too.

And thanks for all the other great info you all provide.

minime07:)

I'm not so sure but I guess for BT, you'll need something that supports A2DP and are usually stereo and are quite expensive. There are quite a number of wired stereo speakers from Logitech and are dirt cheap.

Have you considered putting your telephone, and instructions, over the car stereo? It's much clearer that way than over the tiny speaker in the 910.

There is an easy mod you can do to make your telephone calls play over the stereo: https://www.tomtomforums.com/showpost.php?p=7043&postcount=14

In the preferences menu, go to speaker prefs and select it to play over the external speaker. You can use the tape deck for that. If your car does not have a tape deck you can use the audio cable or get the FM Transmitter mount.

Good luck.

Hi, my TT910 has been working great in my 07 cooperS. I guess I listened to too much LOUD Led Zeppelin et al back in the day, so I'm having a little trouble hearing the nav and phone audio from the internal speaker. Although I would love to have a real Bluetooth set up with steering wheel controls, etc., I feel I need to wait on that one both financially and technically here in the US. Do any of you have any suggestions on a external speaker I can pair with TomTom? I don't need high fidelity, just clarity and volume. I'm happy with the phone interface, so I really don't need a portable car kit per se. I tried a Parrot Minikit, but I couldn't get it to pair with the 910 and actually the sound/volume was worse that the 910 anyway. I suppose if there were a wired option that had decent clarity and volume but small enough to "hide" out of the way, that would work too.

And thanks for all the other great info you all provide.

minime07:)

Have you considered one of the units from Mew Mini Stuff?

http://www.newministuff.com/new/index.php

I've been drolling over a few of the items for my 05 Cooper Cabrio.

Here is their offerings for the Newer 07 Models

http://www.newministuff.com/new/shop.php?action=products&cat=26

Thanks all for your replies.
Yes, NewMiniStuff has the options I need, except I think I would get the new MK6000 from Parrot. It supports A2DP so I think I could stream the TomTom through that and continue to use the 910 for phone and nav. I have enabled the external audio for the phone. The problem is, if you hook it into the AUX port, that's all you can listen to - no CD, IPOD,(mini interface) or radio. If you're listening to the radio, for example, you would need to notice a call coming in, change inputs on the stereo, then answer the call. Pain in the you-know-what. Plus I've got an XM reciever plugged into the aux. I'd lose that too. If there was a way to plug in the TomTom by wire so it would mute the sound and play, I'd be happy with that but I don't think there is a way to do that.

Here is a link of the A2DP compatible devices as of March 2007 -

http://www.robertwebbe.nl/A2DP.html

Ok, I am now answering my own question! I had a Parrot MK6000 setup installed. It sounds very cool. A little issue updating the firmware, but that's another story. Paired up with BB8800 and all is good. Voice recog is very iffy, but the phonebook access works well. Hubby has a problem with his Acura stock bluetooth too, I think it's the nature of the beast.

Here's the really bad, I cannot pair it with the 910 Hi-Fi (A2dp output) I know the Parrot works because I've paired and streamed music from two laptops (Vista and XP) and a bluetooth A2DP transmitter. So my solution for now is an Iogear bluetooth transmitter that plugs into the audio out of the 910. Works and sounds great. The Parrot interrupts the radio/head unit and I get directions. The phone trumps all, as it should.

I'm not happy about throwing another $40 or so out there, but it does work. You could even hide it somewhere under the dash or something with a extension cable. The Iogear is really small, I don't even see it as it is behind the TT910. I just wish that TomTom would get it together and either fix the A2DP out or stop claiming it has it implemented properly. What else can "Hi-Fi" speaker mean anyway? The less gadgets, the better! That's the goal :(

Last edited:
Would the parrot and IOgear option work for the Go 720 and Go 920 as well? I did not see either (720 or 920) on the A2DP list..

Ask a Question