BlackBerry8830 and TT 630

Yes - suggest you review the forum for guidance.

For starters though, make sure you BB is set to be discoverable, and then go to the tomtom phone preference and have it search and try to pair with your device. The pairing has to be done by the TomTom - not the phone.

When it sees it, it will start to pair. You should get a pop=up on you BB asking to enter a pass-code - it is 0000. After that, it should say successfully set up for hands free, and offer to download your phone book. Note that it may only bring over the numbers and not names (a bug in their current app - search the forum for recent posts on just that problem).

iI should next ask if you want to set up wireless serves - say yes, and then follow the setup wizard. It may or may not be successful right off. There is a 50% chance that if not, TT servers are down, so try again at another time/day.

If no success, you may have to set up with manual settings. Again, seach the forum - it is full of what you need.

NOTE - if you don't have the correct AT&T data plan - you cannot of course set up data services.

I have an 8830 with Telus and am able to use my 730 without a problem. The only thing I have not been able to do is have it recognize SMS messages. If anyone knows that this should work, please let me know.

Assuming the 2 units operate the same (I don't know that they do), you will be able to use it as a bluetooth hands free without a problem. Additionally it will dial out via the tethering feature on the bb. Like the previous post, make sure you have the right data plan if you are going to do this. Your provider may not like you using this method if you don't and if they don't mind, it could cost you some money. To get things like traffic, weather, etc, you have to get the unit to initiate a data call. After you have set things up as per the previous post, go into TomTom services and select Weather. If your unit works like mine, it will dial the connection which will then allow you to do whatever else you want. In order to disconnect the tethering I have to go into Phones and select the 8830 icon. This disconnects the Bluetooth connection and drops the tethered connection.

Clear as mud? If you have any other questions, let me know.

J

Ask a Question