Blackberry 8310 with T-mobile finally connected with Wireless Data

TomTom Model(s)
Go 720
My Blackberry 8310 is on a corporate BES. I had been having trouble getting the tomtom 720 to even see that dial up networking was possible. I after many google searches I realized it was the IT policy on my BES that was preventing DUN from working. I spoke with IT (at my company) and got them to flip on the tethering option for my BB. T-mobile does not have a tethering specific plan (AT&T does), but I have the unlimited data plan. I then used the following settings on the tomtom:

APN: wap.voicestream.com
at+cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com"
username:<your phone number>
password:<your password>

If you don't know your password, go to www.t-mobile.com and either register for an account or click the forgot password link. Many other sites list this as being guest/guest or to leave them blank, but that never worked for me.

To find out if your Blackberry has the correct setting in the BES, do the following:
1) Go to the Options page
2) Click Bluetooth
3) Bring up the menu (button to the left of the trackball)
4) Click options
5) Look for "Dial-Up Networking"

If you do not see Dial-up Networking, then this will not work.

Hope this helps someone.

This should be much easier to setup on BIS. Did you check the bluetooth options to see if Dial up networking is available. I am using a beta version OS on my BB, but this should work with the latest OS. If you don't have the latest OS go to blackberry.com and download the latest handheld build.

You were mentioning you have a beta version OS on your BB, perhaps that will be the reason why you are able to use the date services?

I doubt it, the beta version did not change the dial-up networking. I was having problems with the latest OS and the beta version, the thing that fixed it was the enabling of tethering in my corporate BES.

Did you check the bluetooth options? Do you see "Dial-up Networking"?

You might also try following the directions (search google) to use you BlackBerry as a modem with your computer, if you can get that to work, then you would use the same settings for configuring tomtom.

Forget about the beta OS, this is a red herring. Let me know where you are getting stuck in setting it up and I will see if I can help.

I have been able to use the BB as a bluetooth modem on my mac and my windows pc. But here's the problem I've found, the bluetooth options of the BB does have DUN but the 'Device Properties' of the TT does not have it, it only shows Handsfree function. Please check if yours says DUN in Device Properties of the TomTom 720.

Last edited:
I just got a new BB 8310 (same device just different color) and I ran into some more issues getting the wireless data working. I had to do the following to get it to work:

Login Script: at+cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com"
Dial: *99#

One the BB, I also had to set the APN, username and password.

Not sure why I had to do this on the BB, since it is set on the tomtom, but maybe the blackberry setting override tomtom's settings?? Anyways it is working now with t-mobile BB 8310 using a BES.

Note - You still have to have the option for tethering enabled on your BES server.

I have the BB 8830 and have been able to get it connected to the Tom Tom to take advantage of Plus Services. But, when I connect the BB says "Modem Mode" at the top and when connected this way I cannot send or receive email. When I disconnect the BB stays in Modem Mode and I have to reboot the device for it to receive email again.

Anyone seen this?

I just got a new BB 8310 (same device just different color) and I ran into some more issues getting the wireless data working. I had to do the following to get it to work:

Login Script: at+cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com"
Dial: *99#

One the BB, I also had to set the APN, username and password.

Not sure why I had to do this on the BB, since it is set on the tomtom, but maybe the blackberry setting override tomtom's settings?? Anyways it is working now with t-mobile BB 8310 using a BES.

Note - You still have to have the option for tethering enabled on your BES server.

I have a 8320 running 4.5.0.18 on BIS, and I followed this instruction, everything works out perfect. Thanks!

I tried just about all combination of settings for the Blackberry 8320, t-mobile and TomTom 720 that I was able to find on the net the last two days. No luck :(
I have access to our BES, so I know it is not a policy issue. All I can think of is that the 4.2.2.180 Blackberry OS is the issue.

Anyone that got it working, can you post your OS version.
Thank you.

Torben
admin of some network

blackberry OS 4.5.0.18 does the trick....

I used t-mobile (I), changed the internet1.voicestream.com to wap.voicestream.com. changed the *99***1# to *99# and left the user and pass blank. the other settings left to automatic and left the login script as at+cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com"

the tcp settings on the blackberry are also blank, no apn or user/pass

the beta OS 4.5 is available on the net for 8310, 8320, 8100, 8800, 8700 and 8300

since it is not an official release, i won't post the links but the filename for the 8320 OS is 8320M_PBr4_1_.5.0_rel28_PL2.7.0.43_A4.5.0.18-BB_8320.zip which should give you plenty of info to find it ;)

It worked of me on OS 4.5.0.18 however it did not work on the newer 4.5.0.37. Hopefully, the release version will not be crippled.

btw. I have the BB 8100 (pearl).

Does the OS for the 8310 work on the 8100 series, or is it device specific ? If so, where is pearl version available ?

Does the OS for the 8310 work on the 8100 series, or is it device specific ? If so, where is pearl version available ?

No, the OS for 8310 will not work on the 8100. You might try a google search for "blackberry firmware 8100 4.5.0.18". ;)

Thanks - I had already determined that. I found version ---.37 - should I stay with ----.18 (I have been looking for it, but keep coming up with only .37) ?

Last edited:
In my experience, .18 was more responsive than .37. Also, with .37 I couldn't connect to wireless data with TomTom. Although I didn't try much troubleshooting to see if I could get it to work before I reverted back to .18.
I would be very interested to know if you're able to get .37 to work with TomTom.

I will give it a try. Since I cannot find earlier versions of 4.5, would there be any problem falling back to official 4.3 if it does not work ?

I tried it, and surprisingly, the TT Data connection I had set up under 4.3 worked fine. However, it would no longer work as a data modem with my laptop (device error, and modem diagnostics would not detect it as a modem). Also, while Google mobile maps still worked, the Blackberry and one 3rd pary GPS maps would not. Tried resetting it a few times, but no luck.

I am re-installing 4.3 and will wait on Blackberry to come out with final version before I try 4.5 again. Funny that the TomTom connection was fine. Ih had also worked OK under 4.3.

Ask a Question