birdy176's alternative mount setup

TomTom Model(s)
GO 910, ONE V2, GO 920 GO 730 & iPad TT App
Here is Birdy's x10 setup up. He emailed me the picture asking me to post it.
birdy.jpg

birdy176 said:
The cost was zero-nada. Have tested it for a week and it never lost suction.
It's a heavy acrylic box lid that happened to be the exact size of the suction base with not a hair to spare.
I left off the device so as to give a clearer view.

here is another quote.
birdy176 said:
You can recognize a sunglasses compartment that opens against the windshield. The push button to open it is to the right.
I used double-sided glue strips on said lid only.
Some day I can remove them from the vinyl without leaving traces with a lemon-oil concoction. (It's a KIA Sedona EX model).

ah... so a compartment on the dash. he glued it to the lid so he can still open it?

birdy, you gotta stop PMing us so much and share publicly! :D

Pedro, I had no idea it was already posted, would have been quicker with more instructions. Thank you!

Battom: I had to think a moment what "PMing" meant. Duh! (you may imagine the sound of a 2x4 hitting me 'ead...) But I wasn't sure how to attach or insert a graphic.

It's not a mini-cd box lid which I considered too flimsy but one that a special lens came in for my digicam with which I took the picture. However, most of us have had, at one time or another, a phonograph or other device with a clear cover which they kept in the attic when taking the old machine to the dump, right??

It can easily be cut with a fine-bladed jig saw but I found that the plastic box lid had exactly the right dimensions and needed no extra work.

Anyway, the lid is fastened with double-sided sticky tape
to a glove box ON the dash, the van being a KIA Sedona, equipped with one. The plastic overlaps the glove box wich makes it accessible even with the device attached.

I didn't have to modify the dock in any way other than turning the ball socket arm 180 degrees to allow for the suction cup to adhere to a horizontal surface.

Being the belt & suspender type, I attached a barely visible piece of fishing line to the arm, its end fastened to one of the items inside the glove box in case a pothole should allow for the device to topple off the dash. But it's perfectly firm and hasn't budged a bit in 3 weeks.

Pedro, I had no idea it was already posted, would have been quicker with more instructions. Thank you!

Battom: I had to think a moment what "PMing" meant. Duh! (you may imagine the sound of a 2x4 hitting me 'ead...) But I wasn't sure how to attach or insert a graphic.

It's not a mini-cd box lid which I considered too flimsy but one that a special lens came in for my digicam with which I took the picture. However, most of us have had, at one time or another, a phonograph or other device with a clear cover which they kept in the attic when taking the old machine to the dump, right??

It can easily be cut with a fine-bladed jig saw but I found that the plastic box lid had exactly the right dimensions and needed no extra work.

Anyway, the lid is fastened with double-sided sticky tape
to a glove box ON the dash, the van being a KIA Sedona, equipped with one. The plastic overlaps the glove box wich makes it accessible even with the device attached.

I didn't have to modify the dock in any way other than turning the ball socket arm 180 degrees to allow for the suction cup to adhere to a horizontal surface.

Being the belt & suspender type, I attached a barely visible piece of fishing line to the arm, its end fastened to one of the items inside the glove box in case a pothole should allow for the device to topple off the dash. But it's perfectly firm and hasn't budged a bit in 3 weeks.

I think on ebay you can actually buy round discs that are used for the same purpose....In fact my friend bought a NUVI, and it came with one......however it would not stick to his dash :) the sticky part sucked.

Disk for dash mounting

I bought one of the disks on ebay for mounting on the dash (need to mount on the dash in California). It has been on for three weeks without a problem. The problem I am having is that the unit vibrates up and down excessively on anything but the smoothest roads.

I bought one of the disks on ebay for mounting on the dash (need to mount on the dash in California). It has been on for three weeks without a problem. The problem I am having is that the unit vibrates up and down excessively on anything but the smoothest roads.
Did you listen for the definite click when tightening the suction plate? The first "stop" merely affixes the device while the second one cinches the ball joint. I live on "wash board" lane and if I want to adjust the arm's angle or position, I have to loosen the knob.

This bit of wisdom came from one of our gurus here!

Edit: That E-Bay disk! Is it something that gets glued to the suction surface? Bad idea, what if you want to change the system to another position - like they do outside Gobernator country?

BTW: With the device mounted the way I described, I can leave it in place when leaving the car for I cover it with an old cap that even a poor man wouldn't want to steal.

For longer absences I take it off anyway - direct heat and peace of mind.

Disk for dash mounting

I went out to the car and looked at the disk. Both the disk and mount are firm. The mount is locked in place. All the play is with the padding that is under the vinyl on top of the dash on my Blazer. Not much I can do with that.

The disk is held with double stick tape. It is supposed to come off if I need to move it.

Howie

Last edited:

Ask a Question