Best way to browse map with fingers ?????

TomTom Model(s)
XL
I just bought my Tomtom today, an XL
When I want to browse the map, the manual says "You can move the map by touching the screen and moving your fingers accross the screen"

This movement is very disappointing, to say the least!
I move my finger in a swiping movement up or down, left or right, diagonally etc.
The map moves, but not always, often the "Find" button moves instead (the little circle with the cross).
Sometimes the map just disappears and it goes back to the menu

I have tried moving my finger slower, longer, not near the Find button, not diagonally, tap then move, move all the way to the edges, etc but I still have trouble.
(Yes, I did peel off the protective plastic from the screen, and there is nothing wrong with my fingers)

Is there a trick how to move the map up/down & left/right with minimum hassle ? Or do I have to accept this as a badly designed interface?
Much appreciated

Last edited:
I gave up on fingering this problem out a while back. Instead, I installed a thin screen protector on my unit, and use the closed end of my Pilot G-2 pens to do all screen selections, scrolling, map moving, whatever. It's smaller point provides not only more precision when trying to select a point on a map or character on the "keyboard", it seems to do so in a more reliable fashion. None of these old resistive technology touch screens work as easily as I'd like - either on my Garmin handhelds or my TomTom automotive unit.

I have no problem moving the map in browse mode on my devices. I've heard that app 9.x has lots of problems with app 9.x.

Is your XL IQroutes compatible? If so, do these steps which will install app 8.415 for now. When HOME requests a second app update to install 9.x, say no. Hopefully Tomtom will publish another app update which may fix this.

Ask a Question