Best Tom Tom Unit

TomTom Model(s)
Start 55TM
Just for grins and giggles has anyone on this forum conducted a survey to see which Tom Tom unit had the highest ratings and was the most trouble free? Trouble free is said "tongue in cheek".:D I looked but could not find anything

Not sure, my dad is on his 4th TomTom GO 730 since he bought it, the previous 3 having been returned to TomTom under guarantee. He was told with his latest one it's the last one they will replace, which seems very unfair. I think he should have asked for his money back and bought a fresh one.

I still own a GO720, and apart from an expected battery change after a few years, no problems. Have tweaked the heck out of it over the years, too. Even had my old Nextel phone tethered to it back when Nextel still supported that.

I also have a GO740, and have experienced no problems with that, either, including Live services, updates, etc.

This location must be charmed, but I've had no gripes. I've got a couple of very specific uses for mine apart from normal road navigation, and stick with the 720/740 because none of the new series supports any of my requirements beyond going from A to B. TT promises to get the 1XXX and 2XXX series featured up one of these days, but I have things I need to do in the meanwhile (hence the addition of the 740 while they're still available).

My only current complaint has to do with the accessories sold (or not sold) in the U.S. for the 740. You can't BUY a mount that gives you audio out here. Nobody seems to know why.

Last edited:
I love mine -- has worked flawlessly during its weekly use. Orginal battery like new.

Go-940 Live coupled to the Brodit Accessory mount and fitted with a 16GB MicroSD memory card is by far the best they have produced IMHO.
Yes there are issues with it in terms of reliability but in terms of capability this unit has everything - Mike

Go-940 Live ..
Yeah, right. Rub it in. See above about things not being shipped to N.A.!

Would have bought one if they'd offered it. Leaving money on the table, as is often the case with these guys.

When you ask what's the highest ratings and most trouble free, you hit upon one of Tomtom's key problems: they do the core stuff well, and add a lot of helpful but buggy features.

So the highest rated? In the US, it's a tough choice between the 930 and the 740, depending on whether you prefer better traffic (740), or music/fm transmission/ept (930). The European 940 does the best of both.

Trouble free: My vote is for the XL 350 / XXL 550 easymenu series. Less features, but very reliable. I'm unaware of any unresolved bugs on that model series.

Less features, but very reliable. I'm unaware of any unresolved bugs on that model series.
Ref features: New corollary to "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" would be "If it ain't broke, it probably ain't there to begin with".:p

I like my XL350 now. So far it has been reliable and I'm not really missing any features except gps co-ordinate entry since they updated the navcore.

Ask a Question