Battery won't charge at all

Hiya

I;ve got a bit of an odd batter / charging problem with my TomTom 720, its about a year and a half old.

The first issue, which I resolved, but I think may be a contributing factor to the new one, was that the connection between the cable and charger was intermittant, I orriginaly though the problem was on the tomtom side of things, so held it in place with blutack and tape, but then realised it was the cable so replaced that and everything was fine.

Then I didn't use the TomTom for a few months (was using it every day untill then) but now it will only turn on and stay on while connected to the power supply. This is ok I guess, as I can leave it on charge most of the time, however, it goes off instantly when the cable is removed so I can't charge my phone / ipod from the lighter socket on long car journys. Also, becasue it looses all power immediatly, when turning on again, it has forgotton where I was and takes an absolute age to find a valid GPS signal, making using it fustrating.

When it is plugged in, it does turn on, but the battery level stays at flashing red and never charges up at all. The connection is now fine, the green light is on all the time whern plugged in.

So, I guess there could be a couple of options as to why this might be - (1) screwed battery - but then wouldn't it still charge up, just discharge really quickly? (2) the cable isn't supplying it with enough power - but then why would it power it at all? (3) something else?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Kath

Sounds like a dead battery. Batteries can get so dead that they don't even hold a second's worth of charge. Letting lithium ion batteries drain until they are empty is known to cause premature battery failure.

See here if you're interested in replacing your own battery.

Also, make sure you download quickgpsfix at least every 2-3 days. That would prevent the GPS from taking so long to get a signal.

Before getting the new battery, try a hard reset. Stick a pin in the reset hole at the bottom and hold the power button at the same time. Hold both for a few seconds then wait about 1-2 minutes and restart by holding the power button.

I've noticed the car charger is a bit shy, so as the USB docking station. They seems to have difficulty to charge fully. I charge my TomTom with my BlackBerry charger once in a while and it seems to give it a boost. Same plug, same voltage, only the threshold of the BB charger seems a bit higher.

Last but not least, if the TomTom is off while charging, the power indicator won't be 100% when I power it up but, if I leave the TT on while charging on the BB charger, it does reach 100%.

Ask a Question