Battery life

TomTom Model(s)
XL Classic
I have an XL classic which I was given for Christmas. What sort of battery life should I get from it when not in use, ie switched off and in its case. From fully charged it is 'dead' after two weeks...is this normal? Thanks in advance.

John, the device isn't fully off when you use the on/ off switch, try depressing the reset switch on the base before you put it away and after a few weeks it should still be OK - Mike

Thanks Mike, but I've had another look and there isn't a reset switch on the base. I've had to reset, cos the battery 'dead' by pressing and holding the on/off button.
cheers John

As its one of the newer XL devices it doesn't have a true reset switch which means there is no way to fully power down the device, the early (Original One XL) did have a reset switch in the base of the device, I guess you have one of the newer models that uses the Easy Port mount in which case the reset function is combined with the on/ off switch - Mike

Thanks Mike. So can I take it that there is no way of truly switching it off and a dead battery is something that I'll have to live with as I don't use it a great deal? Cheers John

When not using my older one xl, I just keep it sitting by my computer and after 3 days I just check to see what stage the battery is in and if down I just plug the USB cord in and let it charge up for an hour or so and then it's good for another 3-4 days, not a big problem, just a nusicance.
I just did a survery for TT and that was one of the problems that I listed...........

Thanks for the information. I was concerned that it was a duff battery or unit but as it appears to be the norm I'm happy. John

Ask a Question