Battery appears charged but will only work with external power

I have searched this forum but not found a thread that seems similar to my issue, though as a newbie I could have missed something - apologies if this is a common issue and other threads exist.

I purchased a 910 while on holiday in the USA in July/August 2007 as my other satnav device failed.

I have been extremely happy with the device and it gets used relatively frequently.

However, for the past month or so I have realised that it will not turn on unless it is docked and the docking station in connected to power. This can be in the car or at home. You can press the on button for as long as you like it simply plays dead.

Plug the power into car or mains and it works properly immediately.

Unplug the power (mains or car) with the device powered up and it turns off immediately.

The battery meter is fully dark (green) which presumably means the unit thinks the battery is fully charged.

I have tried charging overnight but this does not appear to make any difference.

Not sure what else i can do. Would a reset using the button in the docking connector help (found this on this forum but just doing the 2 hour charge before attempting)

I understand the unit has a 2 year warranty but would this be a warranty issue?

Only if it came with the two year warranted.

Look in windows explorer in the licenses folder on your device. It will ay idf it was one or two years. Ff 2, check to see if you are covered by the US/Canadian subsidiary, mas you might have to ship to tem. I would check in your home country, as if it was 2 years - they might be willing to save you the hassle of shipping back to the US.

If it was just one year, batteries are redially available for x10 series.

You might also check further in this site for a thread on batteries that would not charge if they had fallen below a certain level of charge. The poster had a procedure to get past that point. It may be that your battery is OK, but needs to get boosted a bit to accept a full charge.

I have searched this forum but not found a thread that seems similar to my issue, though as a newbie I could have missed something - apologies if this is a common issue and other threads exist.

I purchased a 910 while on holiday in the USA in July/August 2007 as my other satnav device failed.

I have been extremely happy with the device and it gets used relatively frequently.

However, for the past month or so I have realised that it will not turn on unless it is docked and the docking station in connected to power. This can be in the car or at home. You can press the on button for as long as you like it simply plays dead.

I had a similar problem and contacted Tom Tom. They were very helpfull. They did, however, state that the warranty is from the time the store bought it rather than how long you have owned it. In such an instance they would honour the warranty with a dated receipt showing you are still within the warranty period.

They sent me a refurbed 710 within a week of sending my 910 to them. Works great.

If you still haven't solved your problem call Tom Tom.

Ask a Question