Bad! always route a loop to arrive on the right side - for destination on left side

TomTom Model(s)
all,
I just got my 920. Really like it until totally screwed on routing.
For any destination on the LEFT side of the road, it ALWAYS goes around the roads to circle around so that I arrive on the right side of the road. Sometimes this is major road about.

For the small road in my subdivision, it did not do that (although my home address is 300 feet off!)

For all the major roads around me I tried, it ALWAYS does that. That is absolutely no divider on the road.

Is there any secret setting to fix this? I am using latest map and firmware.

Does it do this for anything that has highway in the name? these so called highways around here are JUST regular 4 lane road, and you can turn left legally, and most places have the center lane.

so help me...

almost going to return it now

thank you

btw, I never see the EPS symbol even when signal is lost (at home)

all,
I just got my 920. Really like it until totally screwed on routing.
For any destination on the LEFT side of the road, it ALWAYS goes around the roads to circle around so that I arrive on the right side of the road. Sometimes this is major road about.

For the small road in my subdivision, it did not do that (although my home address is 300 feet off!)

For all the major roads around me I tried, it ALWAYS does that. That is absolutely no divider on the road.

Is there any secret setting to fix this? I am using latest map and firmware.

Does it do this for anything that has highway in the name? these so called highways around here are JUST regular 4 lane road, and you can turn left legally, and most places have the center lane.

so help me...

almost going to return it now

thank you

btw, I never see the EPS symbol even when signal is lost (at home)
I seemed to have the same problem with my GO720, my destination would be a large shopping complex and it would take me around in a big circle to the entrance. I could go straight and make a left for 300m instead it takes me around the streets almost 2 to 3 km.

--Phil

It is going by the address on the nearest street. I hate that it does this. For the destination on the right it wants me to make u-turns and sometimes go around the block to get to my POI. I wish they would fix that in the nex firmware update.

Same for me i was 2 houses away from my house last night and it wanted me to go around the block that should be fixed....:mad:

Well it is not a map issue.

From my experience it is a firmwire issue.

Yesterday I drove all over Los Angeles using different locations: Address and POI searches.

I noticed that with the newest Navcore 7 firmwire, my unit wanted to to take turns around the block instead of making u-turns like I had experienced in the past.

Today, I tried a simple straight route using advance planning. TT wanted me to go around through another street and come around the otherside of the streen. I re-isntalled Navcore 6.525 and tried the same route again using advance planning. TT wanted me to make a U-turn to get to the other side of the street! This was the most logical route planned.

Here's some screen shots comparing the two Navcore 6 & 7 with the same route and map.

Screen shot 1 shows me navigating to a POI on the same street but on the otherside of the road. This is with Navcore 7.162. It takes me to through other streets to get on the otherside without a uturn.

Nav7error.jpg

Screen shot 2 shows the same route using Navcore 6.525. This tells me to make a u-turn instead of going through the other streets.

Nav6correct.jpg

Screen shot 3 shows the u-turn symbol.

Nav6correct2.jpg

conclusion:
This is not caused by the map

I hope with a new firmwire, this can be fixed.
Like I mention before, yesterday I noticed this happened to me all day. This is just one example.

Hi all !

I have the Go 720, and a Go 920, the two of them are acting the same way.
They make you do detours, some times big detour to get to a destination that just needed a left turn...

A GPS is supposed to be precise, it cant even be accurate on POI, it is always off by 400 to 500 feet.

This is not acceptable. My old Pionner is super accurate on any destination I enter.

George

So it seems like the new firmware totally messed up. Did they listen to some bad suggestions or what? It seems to allow a simple left turn on some streets - I could not figure out the pattern yet (suspect the HWY in the street name).

How do we let TomTom know about this serious problem? It is not a simple round about, in one case, it goes a big circle with 3 streets for almost 2 miles, instead of a simple left turn to destination.

thank you all

Here's some screen shots comparing the two Navcore 6 & 7 with the same route and map.

Screen shot 1 shows me navigating to a POI on the same street but on the otherside of the road. This is with Navcore 7.162. It takes me to through other streets to get on the otherside without a uturn.

This is not caused by the map

I hope with a new firmwire, this can be fixed.
Like I mention before, yesterday I noticed this happened to me all day. This is just one example.

I was facing north at an intersection 1/2 mile west of my destination and TT kept telling to turn left which would take me AWAY from my destination.

Luckily, I already knew where I was so I turned right to go east TOWARDS my destination and it just kept telling me, "turn around"!

My destination was a few hundred yards on my right side obviously requiring a simple right turn. My destination was NOT entered as an address, it was map point coordinates I picked - definitely off the south side of the road.

TT showed a route that went 1/4 mile past my destination, U-turns, then comes back to make a LEFT turn across traffic!

WTF!?!

Last edited:
I contacted TomTom support online. And here is the useless reply they sent me. They are asking me to reset the device and reinstall the application. As if that is going to magically fix the firmware. Dumbos.

------------------------
Subject
920 routing makes me do 3 right or left turns instead of a left turn on U turn to the destination

Discussion Thread
Response (ST Robert U) 01/04/2008 01:49 PM
Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for contacting TomTom. We appreciate the time you have taken to contact us in regard the navigation issues you are having with your TomTom. Our goal is to provide you with exceptional customer service, and we are happy to help.

Upon reading your email, we do understand your issue and we would like to apologize for any frustration this may have caused. Below we have provided some trouble shooting steps that you can perform in order to get your TomTom working properly.

- First perform a soft reset by following the steps on www.tomtom.com/7134. Then follow these steps:

- Connect the unit to the computer while unit is still turned off then power it on.

- Run the clear flash tool. Instructions for this can be found at link provided below.

http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?FID=6211&Lid=4

- Open the TomTom Home program on your computer. If this is not already installed, we have also provided a direct link below to download and install the program.

http://www.tomtom.com/plus/service.php?ID=17&Lid=4

- Click "Remove items from my device" (Main Menu Page 2) and remove the application.

- Now click on "Update my device" (Main Menu Page 1).

- Here you want to assure that your TomTom application is selected press 'Download Updates' in the lower right corner. Follow the prompts until installation is complete. This may take a few minutes. (Note: If the application does not appear as an update, please back go back to the 'Main Menu' and choose 'Add Maps, Traffic, Voices, Etc.'. Here you want to choose 'Items On My Computer'. You may then install the application that's listed here.)

- After updates are installed, click Device > Disconnect Device in the top menu bar before disconnecting the USB cable.

- Your TomTom should now be able to power up normally.

Hope this helps!

If you have any further questions or comments, please email or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM until 7:00 PM EST. Thanks again for writing. At TomTom we believe in showing you the way the easy way.

With Best Regards,

Robert
and
The TomTom Customer Support Team
Customer (XXXXXXXX) 12/29/2007 04:20 PM
The TomTom 920 that I got recently makes me take 3 right/left turns instead of a U or a left turn to the destination. This always happens when getting to the destination. Looks like 920 is trying to avoid a U turn or Left turn for wahtever reason. This makes me really uncomfortable when using my 920 especially when close to the desintation. Especially because I am not sure whether it will take me all around the place instead of directly to the final destination.

I have my older TomTom 300 which I compared with the 920. And my older 300 does not do this and gives me the best/accuarte directions when compared to the 920.

This is especially annoying to a person who driver mostly in a suburban areas where U and Left turns are usual and normal. Maybe it makes sense to a person living in a city where U and Left turns are mostly impossible or banned.

Any idea why 920 is behaving this way? If it indeed is an attempt by 920 to avoid a U or Left turn, I would suggest that a menu option be provided to enable/disable this feature so that the user can dertermine whether they like U or Left turns.​
------------------------

How funny!

That is the EXACT same email instructions I received for a different problem I reported, only from a different TT tech. Apparently that is how they have solved the issue of not enough techs, they set their email up to do an auto reply with that answer. :D

Last edited:
Hmmm... in that case the personal touch in their reply "Upon reading your email, we do understand your issue and we would like to apologize for any frustration this may have caused" is pretty effective.

I guess they just dont realize the frustration customers will have when they figure out that tomtom is using canned auto replies :mad:

How funny!

That is the EXACT same email instructions I received for a different problem I reported, only from a different TT tech. Apparently that is how they have solved the issue of not enough techs, they set their email up to do an auto reply with that answer. :D

Same problem with tomtom One 3rd ed.

My street is a large circle. My house is next to the connecting road. Whenever I begin a route the TomTom wants me to drive all the way around the circle before picking up the connector rd. Instead of heading left to take it. But if a have a route coming home it plots it correct.

Before my brand new 720 broke today, I know there was something in the menus about being on the right or left side of the road. I don't know if this helps. Maybe check and see if this is causing the issue? There are so many options and menus it's hard to keep straight. :confused:

just FYI
and a confession....

I bought a Nuvi 370 later now. So embarrassed with the routing issue (dare not to show wife that).

I still have the 920, will return soon (bought from costco).... still hoping they release a fix for this...

seems like they got too smart on this, should have just kept it simple like garmin (destination on left, and go to the starting point or whatever, instead of round about the whole thing). Or, at least give an option (on top of all others) to disable this.

not everyone is a taxi driver...

sigh

good luck to us all.

BTW, comparing with Nuvi 370,

Nuvi is so dumb down, and the route plan is a joke (so hard to get from A to B if the A is not the current GPS location)

and I so miss all the features...

but, it is a GPS and must be able to route... (without apparent flaws)

Ask a Question