Avoid Freeways (option)

Hi My wife Doesn't drive on Freeways and why is it even if she choose avoid Freeways certain locations/Address still wants her to navigate thru Freeways? can this be fixed?

Try 'Shortest' instead of 'Fastest', also if necessary, go to 'Find Alternative', avoid part of route.
You also create/save Itinaries and fetch them for future use.

I wouldn't recommend using 'Shortest'. It tries to route you in a straight line, making for some amusing but useless itineraries.

Freeways

So then we must assume that the problem is where? Is it a map issue? I would assume that each road on the map must have some property that defines the type of road?

I related problem I have experienced... the NY State Thruway is a toll road, but when you go though Buffalo there is a stretch of perhaps 10 miles that is freeway. If you want to navigate with-in this region however the TomTom asks if you want to avoid toll roads even though the section of the road is not a toll road.

oh thanks found it this helped me "Find Alternative', avoid part of route" so what is the real difference of fastest and shortest route?

In 'Planning preferences' choose 'Ask me ...' then experiment youself.
For the same destination choose 'Fastest' then 'Shortest'.
The route will be shown with the summary of distance, time to take for each.
The result is hard to predict.:D
Normally when choosing fastest, TomTom tends to choose more highways.

Fastest route is used better when traveling between cities.
Shortest route is used beterr when traveling within a city.

I haven't tried the 'Limited Speed' option.
I use the avoid part of route.

It's beginning to look like they forgot to add the avoid highway option.

Try routing with bicycle or walking routes, those should never send you on the highway and yet they still do.

Using GO 720 for Bicycle Route - Does it work ?

I have bought a GO720 to ride around Germany on the bicycle paths marked on it, yet my TT is very reluctant to ever use a bike path or even stay on it even when the bicycle planning option is chosen.
Has any one ever succesfully used the bicycle or walking option & found that TT will take the corresponding path rather than walking down a freeway ???
It is very frustating when it appears to be a feature TT has yet does not work as expected !! Particularly when there ia a bike path running parallel to teh main road and TT won't take it.
Anyone been able to use these non-car features sensibly ???
Thanks
: (

Using GO 720 for Bicycle Route - Does it work ?

I have bought a GO720 to ride around Germany on the bicycle paths marked on it, yet my TT is very reluctant to ever use a bike path or even stay on it even when the bicycle planning option is chosen.
Has any one ever succesfully used the bicycle or walking option & found that TT will take the corresponding path rather than walking down a freeway ???
It is very frustating when it appears to be a feature TT has yet does not work as expected !! Particularly when there ia a bike path running parallel to teh main road and TT won't take it.
Anyone been able to use these non-car features sensibly ???
Thanks
: (
https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?p=56394#post56394

I've been having the same problem (using avoid freeways and still getting freeways in my route).

any thoughts?

"Avoid Freeways" in Los Angeles, CA - TomTomForums.com - TomTom, GPS Navigation Community

There is definitely a problem with "Avoid Freeways". I personally think that it is a problem with the underlying map. Garmin and Magellan have no problems avoiding Freeways. They use map data from NAVTEQ while TomTom uses Tele Atlas. I think there is where the problem lies. If you think about it whether something is a Freeway or not should be strictly a database issue. Obviously NAVTEQ has their act together while Tele Atlas needs work.

As I have mentioned in previous posts, an option to include only roads under a user defined limit (like what the "Limited Speed" choice does) would do the trick nicely and elegantly, since one of the characteristic of Freeways and Highways are its higher speed limit so keeping under, say 40mph would keep you off freeways and keep you on more local roads.

As I have mentioned in previous posts, an option to include only roads under a user defined limit (like what the "Limited Speed" choice does) would do the trick nicely and elegantly, since one of the characteristic of Freeways and Highways are its higher speed limit so keeping under, say 40mph would keep you off freeways and keep you on more local roads.
If that isn't set to at leas 56 mph (or 81 km/h in Ontario) it will also keep you off 2 lane roads between built up areas.

If that isn't set to at leas 56 mph (or 81 km/h in Ontario) it will also keep you off 2 lane roads between built up areas.

The purpose of a GPS is to help the driver reach his destination in a manner that is comfortable for his driving style. That is why there are various routing choices. The layout of New York City and driving styles and Ontario obviously differ. The need to alter driving patterns during rush hour in New York City is a very real need and one should not need to jump through hoops to get help from their GPS.

Last edited:
The layout of New York City and driving styles and Ontario obviously differ. The need to alter driving patterns during rush hour in New York City is a very real need and one should not need to jump through hoops to get help from their GPS.
Maybe you should have said city streets in the first place instead of local roads.
Local roads, between towns, in Western New York have double nickle speed limits. Limiting speeds to 40 mph would have to keep you on dirt and farm roads if you go from Lockport, NY to East Amherst, NY.

This leads to an interesting aberration in DEMO mode.
With the planned speed limited set to 40 mph it goes down Transit Rd at 30 in the 30 zone, 40 in the 45 zone and 40 in the 55 zone instead of picking roads that have speed limits at 40 or below.

Maybe that explains all these half asleep drivers we encounter. The posted limit is 40 mph but their TomTom beeps them at about 44/46.

Just updated to the 855 map so I figured the Avoid Freeways would work better. Same results. I tried for the goof to choose the Shortest Route option. It did avoid the freeway but what was strange was that it chose a route that was "more crooked" than the original took longer and was longer! So just what is the "shortest route" supposed to do?

Shortest is supposed to select the route with the least total driving distance.

I did a "Prepared Route" going from
400 Eggert Rd, Bufffalo NY
to Buf Buffalo Niagra International Airport and got

Fastest Route: 8:15 min 4.8 Miles
Shortest Route: .16 hr 5.5 Miles

5.5 Miles is not shorter than 4.8 Miles

I'm aware of that Marty......

The algorithm isn't perfect all the time. What can I say?

Ask a Question