Availability of Accessories in U.S.

Is anyone concerned about the lack of availability of TomTom accessories in the U.S. I purchased a Live Go 740. It does not accept mp3s and although it advertises ipod comparability, it requires purchase of a unique dock that is not available in the U.S. Very frustrating!

I'd also be inclined to call Tech Support, remind them that the following information is printed in the literature (the manual) that you received from them with your 740 Live, and ask them how they intend to fulfill your request for the appropriate docking station. Might prove interesting for all of the 740 owners in North America that are in the same boat with you:

"A Windshield Mount that enables you to connect your iPod to your GO is available is a an accessory.

Sound from your iPod is played through the internal speaker in your GO, or an external speaker if selected."

The last time I saw a response from TomTom on that subject was sometime last fall. IIRC their answer was "That accessory is not yet available for purchase in our North American market" and that was about it. With the 740 due to be discontinued this year, I'd be surprised to see the dock now, soon to be a year after the 740 was released here and nearly 16 months since it's European introduction. But it's certainly possible I suppose. It could very well be sitting in the same warehouse holding the promised HDTraffic receivers for the GB x20"s;)

Last edited:
To the OP: Are you aware that there are 3rd party applications for MP3 for your 740? I note that it seemed you might have been willing to go that route if your i-Pod wouldn't plug and play.

Now that's really strange. I had previously understood that unlike the 940, MP3 play was not made available in the 740. And yet I see comments elsewhere that simply sticking MP3 files into a 740's SD card folder called "mp3", just the way you would on a 720 or 730, works. Here's one example ... gotta wonder what the deal is here...

[Link to warez site removed. Sorry, canderson]

Was this guy just imagining that he could play them?!? I didn't see any indications that the user was playing around with a 940 navcore. Huh...

FYI: It's the guys at Mobilnova that are evidently keeping up with things (incl. MP3 player) - they're showing support for everything up through the 750 and 950 models. I purchased their product some years back for my 720. Friends were amazed when I fired up the movie "The Sting" and had the audio going in stereo over the car speakers.

Mobilnova - TomTom Media Center with TomTom MP3 player, TomTom Video player and video converter, TomTom PDF Reader, TomTom picture viewer and TomTom games support

Last edited by a moderator:
My thought is that TomTom should not mention any add-ons in their manual or web site if they are not available in the country they are selling the unit in. It just leads to frustration and disappointment.

Ask a Question