Automatic Power on for the tomtom?

I have an extra tomtom (One) that I'd like to permanently install in the vehicle. it has an event logger and I intend to make it act as a sort of 'black box' recording every trip taken for future review if needed. It will be inside the glove compartment.

Has anyone tried hacking the tomtom so that it will power on by itself when vehicle is turned on? or when external power is applied to it?

I wish to eliminate the need to reach out and push the tomtom's power on switch.

I have an extra tomtom (One) that I'd like to permanently install in the vehicle. it has an event logger and I intend to make it act as a sort of 'black box' recording every trip taken for future review if needed. It will be inside the glove compartment.

Has anyone tried hacking the tomtom so that it will power on by itself when vehicle is turned on? or when external power is applied to it?

I wish to eliminate the need to reach out and push the tomtom's power on switch.

Im not sure about the tomtom one, but I used to have a 910 that I hard wired into my vehicle...(in parallel with the cig-socket, which in a TOYOTA shuts off with the ignition)...When I would start the car, it would turn on the TOMTOM on its own...for my appication, I found this a bit annoying but I can see that in most applications it would be nice. It did NOT however shut off when I shut the engine off.

I currently use my tomtom 720 as it sits on my lap, I plug it in when it is low. I have not had time to hardwire/mount it in my vehicle(s). Additionally I still have a TomTom GO x10 Mount in each of my vehicles with power cabe hanging out of my dashboard.

(910 was replaced by FRYS as warranty replacement with a 720)

I think it is possible to do as you describe, however, I believe your intent is not to track/log every trip that YOU make...I think it is to track that of your spouse, if so, be careful with that. It is illegal in many places to do so.

Have you tried running it in the glove box? Does it get enough signal coverage?

The solution may be to leave it turned on full time.

Ask a Question