auto shutdown

TomTom Model(s)
930 (2)TT910,(1)TT510
is there a way to have TT shutdown after it is inactive for a set ammount of time, my magellan did this and it was nice for the times that you forget to turn it off.

Last edited:
I asked the question to TomTom Here is what they said

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support regarding your question about the power shut off of your device. We are sorry for the inconvenience of the elimination of the automatic shut-off feature. This feature was eliminated because of a safety problem. If the device lost power while traveling, it would shut off and the user would be attempting to restart the route while driving. To avoid the device's prematurely shutdown, the power-off feature was eliminated from future versions of the software. This was a decision based upon customer feedback.

Since the elimination of the shut-off feature, we have again received significant customer feedback, which favors the return of this feature. We are presently reviewing this feature and are considering restoring it, offering it as an option or leaving as is. Thank you for your feedback and patience.

Once again, thank you for contacting TomTom. At TomTom, we believe in helping you find your way the easy way. Please feel free to contract us by phone at 866-486-6866, Monday through Friday 8:30 AM to 7:00 PM EST or by e-mail at TomTom.com using the Support Tab.

With Best Regards,

TomTom Customer Support Team

So it sounds like if enough of us ask this might come back....

Auto Shut Off

:rolleyes: HMM AUTO SHUT OFF? WHY WOULD YOU FORGET TO SHUT IT OFF? DO YOU LEAVE IT IN THE CAR? DO YOU USE IT W/O THE POWER CHARGER (SIGARETTE LIGHTER)? IF YOU TAKE IT OFF THE WINDSCREEN SUPPORT DON'T YOU SHUT IT OFF? I PERSONALLY DON'T THINK IT'S A FEATURE I NEED.YOU PARK THE CAR TAKE OFF THE TOMTOM AND SHUT IT OFF....

GEORGE

When I come home at night I pull in the garage & shut off the car.
My power (in the car) goes off in 10 min. it would be nice for the TomTom
shut off then.... Ican leave it in the car. Then in the morning when I start
the car it comes on.

I don't always take it out of the car.

It would be nice to have the option. My vehicle is garaged most of the time and is rarely in an unsecure area. If I have no choice I do pop off the head and depending on where I am I have removed the mount. BTW I carry a pack of alcohol prep pads to remove the circle the mount sometimes leaves. Maybe tomtom will give us the option.

I drive a service vehicle and it was nice with the magellan gps that I had, that the unit would shut off when I was away from the truck for longer than 15 minutes. I rarely tahe the TT out of my truck and the same goes for my other 910 and my 510 in my other vehicles. it was just a nice feature to have, now what i do is when I get out of the truck on a job I turn on the slideshow. There was a problem with my last 910 with the screen having lines through a very jumpy screen, so if it dont turn it off I would rather a "screen saver" be on.

Last edited:
I need help

Is there a way to shut down my Tom Tom properly after I get to my destination, because when I get to my destination, then when I try to use it again when I need it, it seems to be frozen to the previous screen, & and I cant get my GPS to work when it need it, any advice would greatly be appreciated, MY DEVICE- Tom Tom One LE Thanks

Last edited:
Im sorry, please elaborate. I don't understand the question.
Do you want your unit to shut down on its own when you arrive to your destination?

Whenever I use my GPS & get to the destination I need to get to, What should I do with Tom Tom, meaning is their a proper way to clear the screen when i'm finished? or can I just power Off & would that be safe? because whenever I seem to power off my screen is frozen to the previous map & I can't start a new search.

Whenever I use my GPS & get to the destination I need to get to, What should I do with Tom Tom, meaning is their a proper way to clear the screen when i'm finished? or can I just power Off & would that be safe? because whenever I seem to power off my screen is frozen to the previous map & I can't start a new search.

Do you want to clear your route? Try looking at this - https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=2555

I asked the question to TomTom Here is what they said

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support regarding your question about the power shut off of your device. We are sorry for the inconvenience of the elimination of the automatic shut-off feature. This feature was eliminated because of a safety problem. If the device lost power while traveling, it would shut off and the user would be attempting to restart the route while driving. To avoid the device's prematurely shutdown, the power-off feature was eliminated from future versions of the software. This was a decision based upon customer feedback.

Since the elimination of the shut-off feature, we have again received significant customer feedback, which favors the return of this feature. We are presently reviewing this feature and are considering restoring it, offering it as an option or leaving as is. Thank you for your feedback and patience.

Once again, thank you for contacting TomTom. At TomTom, we believe in helping you find your way the easy way. Please feel free to contract us by phone at 866-486-6866, Monday through Friday 8:30 AM to 7:00 PM EST or by e-mail at TomTom.com using the Support Tab.

With Best Regards,

TomTom Customer Support Team

So it sounds like if enough of us ask this might come back...

Sounds like TomTom doesn't know how to efficiently handle consumer feedback. "You complained so we removed it, you complained some more so maybe we'll put it back." WTF? :rolleyes:

Here's a thought... how about putting some thought into a compromise solution that keeps everyone more or less satisfied? Like perhaps the option to turn on/off an "auto-shutdown" feature... and then for the mentioned safety concern, never allow it to shutdown within X-minutes of no detected motion.

Who the hell would complain about having additional options/preferences?

Ask a Question