auto clearing route when complete ?

I used to have a garmin for about 1.5 years and recently bought the 720. Is there a way to get it to clear the route automatically once you complete the route. It tells me that I have arrived. However when I turn the car off and turn it back on. Or if I go somewhere else, the route still shows up and I have to manually clear it . Seems a little weird why it would stay.
any help would be great. I tried seraching and couldnt find anything

Unfortunately, when it says 'you've reached your destination', it is NOT the precise point when indeed you have.

In other words, you have to manually clear the route.....sorry.

That's on my list of things I wish my TT did. I've owned 2 other brands in the past and they both auto cleared the route once the destination was reached. One cleared it once you passed within a certain distance of the destination. The other cleared it when you were within 1/10th mile (500')of the destination and stopped.

Another thing I wish the TT did was announce waypoint reached.

One interesting thing -- the TT does auto-clear itinerary waypoints once you've achieved some reasonable proximity. I haven't paid any attention to just HOW close you need to be.

One advantage to the manual clear -- if you blow by your destination, you've still got live routing to tell you how to recover from the mistake. If it weren't for that, you'd have to fiddle with the thing to "Navigate to" the destination again while you were trying to recover. Guess there's something to be said for both approaches.

Last edited:
One advantage to the manual clear --
I like the idea of auto-clear, but I can see the advantage of manual clear too. My main wish is that it was easier to do the clear. I have to:

1) Tap screen
2) Tap right arrow
3) Tap right arrow (again!)
4) Tap Clear

Why can't I at least add that to my "Quick" menu?

-Frank

I like the idea of auto-clear, but I can see the advantage of manual clear too. My main wish is that it was easier to do the clear. I have to:

1) Tap screen
2) Tap right arrow
3) Tap right arrow (again!)
4) Tap Clear

Why can't I at least add that to my "Quick" menu?

-Frank
It's possible to entirely reorder all of the screens on a TT to your liking. There's a thread around here somewhere that describes the file you need to create to redefine what's what. I am sorely tempted to do so myself since my most commonly used items aren't available quickly or from the "Quick" menu, either. For example, I'd like to have the 2nd page show

Browse route as text
Clear route
Itinerary

Some day I'll get around to it...

Ask a Question