At my witts end with TomTom!!! -- RESOLVED

This is a copy and paste of a letter I wrote to a law firm this afternoon regarding what happened to me with TomTom...

On 8/2/2011 I bought a gps unit model Go 2535 M Live from my local Best Buy. I noticed that the battery wouldn't hold a charge about a month later and I called TomTom who gave me instructions to send it back to them. I started an RMA claim with them on 8/30/2011. I sent the unit back to them, I paid for the shipping. They sent me a confirmation email on 9/8/2011 saying they received it. I got another confirmation on 9/9/2011 that the unit was shipped out to me. I received that unit on 9/14/2011 and I tried to hook it up to my pc as is necessary in order to use it and everything worked except the Live part of the device which gives you traffic updates and weather and google and a host of other goodies. So, I call them that day and spend an hour and a half on the phone with a rep who creates another RMA based on the unit not having the Live sim card installed. I sent it back, this time at their expense. They sent me an email saying they received it on 9/22/2011. They sent it back to me on the same day. I just received it today. This is where it gets frustrating enough to contact you.....

I received the unit at 8:46 this morning and promptly hooked it up to my pc and it did not work at all. I called TomTom at 9:18am AZ time and was on the phone with them with 3 hours. During this conversation I was told that all that can be done is to send me out another unit. I told them it had been 4 weeks already that I was without my gps as it was and I didn't want to wait another 2 weeks for a unit to come back to me. I was told an expidited shipping label would be created and sent immediately (which it was) and that I should call them after dropping it off with the tracking number and he can send me a new unit without having received the old one just based on the fact that I have proof it is sent.

I knew as soon as I printed out the shipping label that he was lying because the tracking number is ON THE LABEL! which tells me there is no reason for me to call to give it to them. I also was told by Gilberto D. (a supervisor in the customer service department) that TomTom is having issues and problems with their hardware AND their software and that some of the units just don't work. I asked him to clarify that TomTom is deliberately selling a product they know doesn't work!!! He was silent. He said, "I think this one will work now." I asked him if he had a crystal ball. How does he know this next one will work? Upon hearing of these known issues I asked for a refund, he of course said that he couldn't give me one. He told me to go back to Best Buy. Of course KNOWING how long the item had been going back and forth and the fact that I had it for a month to begin with, he knew they would not take it back.

I went to the store to drop it off for return and called tomtom to give them the tracking number that they already had. I asked to speak Gilberto D. and was told I could not. I asked if I would be getting the unit shipped out today or tomorrow based on what he told me. I was told no. I was put on hold and after repeated attempts to talk to someone in charge I was told that she (the girl on the phone at that moment) talked directly to Gilberto and he told HER that "procedure needs to be followed" which means for me that I am only going to have my unit shipped out after they receive this one. He deliberately lied to me on the phone when he assured me I could call with the tracking number and he would send it out once it was confirmed that the unit I am sending them is on the way.

So, to recap: they are deliberately selling items that don't work and their CS dept. is deliberately lying to people on the phone who are trying to seek their help. If you go to tomtom.com and look at their forums section, there are hundreds of people with issues just like this all over the world. Please help me do something about this. This should not be allowed to people.

Certainly sounds frustrating - but I'm a bit surprised by the way you started to approach the problem...

I also bought my 2535 M Live from Best Buy, the first week the device became available through them in their bricks and mortar locations. At the time, I was aware that several features hadn't been implemented yet, so I was a bit hesitant - and I made sure I checked out Best Buy's return policy, and based on that, I made the purchase with no worries.

Best Buy's policy on "no fault returns" allows you, as consumer, to return the device within 30 days of purchase paying absolutely no penalty. You could have, for example, taken the device back to Best Buy, returned it for a 100% refund, and then picked up a brand new boxed unit from them. Seems that this would have been a lot easier than 3 hours on the phone, mailing the device to TomTom and waiting for resolution and return mail. Returning a purchase does NOT disqualify you from purchasing the exact same model device. It's actually one of the better reasons to shop at Best Buy -- 30 day no fault return.

This is also one of the reasons that I often purchase equipment at a retail store: as long as the return policy is favorable, you will have an easy cost-free option to get a defective or disappointing device replaced or returned for a refund. If I weren't going to take advantage of that, THEN I might purchase directly, online. But, lacking that, I would always try returning the device first to the retail establishment, leaving shipping as my last resort for resolution of a defective or disappointing device.

Oh man, these are the kind of reviews that I don't like reading.

I'm a little worried now, since i just bought my GO2505TM from Best Buy last week.

I've been using it daily and so far, no issues.

I wonder if I should consider buying the Best Buy replacement service plan, or perhaps buying the TomTom 2 year extended warranty. It seems the TomTom option would be more hassle as there's shipping and downtime involved vs. exchanging it at a local Best Buy.

I hope you get everything worked out with TomTom dancincat.

Do keep us posted.

Thanks!

I knew as soon as I printed out the shipping label that he was lying because the tracking number is ON THE LABEL! which tells me there is no reason for me to call to give it to them.
A couple of notes:

While I'll grant that your service experience is completely unacceptable (and your luck has been positively horrible), it does not surprise me that they requested the tracking number that they had supplied to you. That and the RMA number would be the means by which they were currently dealing with the problem, and having that number when you called would allow them to manually add the information into the database that this particular unit was, per the customer, in transit. While it is unusual for TomTom to agree to a "hot swap" of a unit, I can tell you that it would not be the first time they have permitted it. I don't know whether their policy has changed or whether there are special circumstances that trigger their willingness to agree to that procedure, but it has been done in the past.

We have had a surprising number of reports of the 2535 units having bad batteries. TomTom is aware of this problem, but there is no reason to think that they were aware of it before a large number of them made it into distribution. So far, we've heard that TomTom has been swapping out units whenever this problem is reported by a customer. AFAIK, that's the only real 'hardware problem' they have been experiencing on a wide scale with the 2535.

I hope that dhn's forwarding of your message to TomTom gets you an apology and some sort of resolution that works for you.

I am in the very same boat as the original poster, I just got my rma yesterday and it would not boot up and had no sim card in it, and mailed it off for a 2nd rma,

Out of interest, how do you know it didn't have a SIM card in it? It's not visible from outside the case and there's no easy access to it.

I understand the OP, Danincat, has now received a working unit from TomTom.

Thread marked as 'RESOLVED'

I just warrantied a 740TM using BestBuy's extended warranty. Long story short, they said an equivalent model was a bunch of various mfg's non-live units and they no longer stocked the 740. Also if I remember correctly my 740 was in the neighborhood of $400 and all best buy would give me is a $200 credit, basically telling me that they didn't care how much I paid, it was at today's value and not what I paid for it. Wound up dropping $20 plus tax on a 1535m. Just be aware of this as it definitely was a shocker to me.

Oh man, these are the kind of reviews that I don't like reading.

I'm a little worried now, since i just bought my GO2505TM from Best Buy last week.

I've been using it daily and so far, no issues.

I wonder if I should consider buying the Best Buy replacement service plan, or perhaps buying the TomTom 2 year extended warranty. It seems the TomTom option would be more hassle as there's shipping and downtime involved vs. exchanging it at a local Best Buy.

I hope you get everything worked out with TomTom dancincat.

Do keep us posted.

Thanks!

Ask a Question