Are screen protectors worth it?

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
I'm just wondering if it's worth putting on a screen protector on my 720. They aren't expensive but I don't want to put one on if it lowers the sensitivity of the touch screen. I take care of my products and never scratch them anyway. Do any of you use the screen protectors just fine? Do you notice you have to tap a little harder for the commands to go through?

Thanks!

I had one on my TT for awhile. Didn't interfere with 'touch' operation, but I never could get rid of all the tiny bubbles that were present -- even when following the instructions implicitly. Just decided to take it off. I keep my TT in a pouch when not in use and there are still no scratches.

Hope this helps.

I had one on my TT for awhile. Didn't interfere with 'touch' operation, but I never could get rid of all the tiny bubbles that were present -- even when following the instructions implicitly. Just decided to take it off. I keep my TT in a pouch when not in use and there are still no scratches.

Hope this helps.

To apply the protector without bubbles, you will need to make a soapy solution which consists of soap and water. This is how automotive tint is applied to car windows. I had used screen protectors with this method with no problem. They key is not to use too much of the solution because you don't want it seeping past your screen. The idea of water on your tomtom I know is scary, but if done right, you'll have a perfectly applied screen protector.

The solution will allow you to slide the protector around while it's still wet. It also allows you to slide out bubbles. On these TomTom screens you have to be careful with how much solution you apply since the screen is recessed.

It's pretty hard to apply the screen protector without the solution because bubbles become trapped, along with dust. A spec of dust will very very noticible under the screen protector without using the solution.

Last edited:
The protector I tried came with an adhesive already on the back of the film after you peel off the paper. So getting it wet wouldn't have worked in this case. It just wasn't worth it to me.

The protector I tried came with an adhesive already on the back of the film after you peel off the paper. So getting it wet wouldn't have worked in this case. It just wasn't worth it to me.

That's the point of the soapy solution. You apply it to the side that has the adjesive so it keeps it from sticking while it's wet. After applying the protector, allow 24 hours for the solution to dry off, and the adhesive will stick. Again, this is exactly how car tint is applied. The soapy is not what causes the stuff to stick, the adhesive does. When you buy car tint, you have to peel the back off, exposing a sticky adhesive side. You MUST wet that to properly apply the tint or else you WILL get dust and air bubbles that will almost never come out. Plus, you will almost never be able to align the tint correctly if the solution is not there.

This method happens to work with static cling sheets as well, but this method is MEANT for sheets with adhesive since it's almost impossible to get the sheet on without bubbles or dust bubbles. Not only that, it's nearly impossible to apply the sheet perfectly straight. The soapy solution will allow you to move the sheet around when it's applied.

I've never installed one, and I've had my ONE for almost a year and a half now. I don't use it when my hands might be wet, or after eating, and I wipe it down with an eyeglass cloth whenever I notice fingerprints. After a wipe down, it looks good as new.

I'm just wondering if it's worth putting on a screen protector on my 720. They aren't expensive but I don't want to put one on if it lowers the sensitivity of the touch screen. I take care of my products and never scratch them anyway. Do any of you use the screen protectors just fine? Do you notice you have to tap a little harder for the commands to go through?

Thanks!

I got around this issue by using a Stylus that I pick up from Amazon.com it works great even though I have a remote with the 920 I find the stylus handier than using my big figures LOL.:D
http://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Retr...7?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1225107390&sr=8-7

you can get similar plastic stylus in any walmart in the video games section. my grandson got me one after I saw him using it on his hand held game. works great.

I use the Zagg shield on my Palm 755p. I like it so much I just ordered one for my TomTom 720.

http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/gps/tomtom

These come pre-cut to the exact dimensions. They also have the solution that is applied to the shield and your fingers with a rubber squeegee to even out the shield, flush the liquid and get rid of the bubbles. You can't even tell there is a shield on my Palm. Lifetime warranty. The 720 screen shield is $13 shipped free.

Ask a Question